Mar 25, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The Big 12 is vying for bragging rights as college basketball’s best conference. But does that mean it had the best NCAA tournament?
It all depends on PASE.
The Performance Against Seed Expectation is a helpful tool to determine how well a league’s teams fared compared to how they should’ve fared. For example, the Big East placed the most teams in the field of 68 with nine. But those teams earned a wide range of seeds.
Syracuse was the highest (1), followed by Georgetown and Marquette (3s), Louisville (4), Cincinnati (6) and Notre Dame (7). Those all should’ve won at least one game according to seed. UConn (9), West Virginia (10) and South Florida (12) should’ve have. Given the history for their respective seeds fared in past NCAA tournaments, the Big East should win 12.21 games.
It’s won 14. (That includes South Florida’s First Four win, which probably should just count as half a victory. Anyway.)
Other conferences doing as expected or better include:
- SEC (5.97 expected; 7 actual, with one team left)
- Big Ten (10.86 expected; 11 actual, with one team left)
- A-10 (2.51 expected; 3 actual, no teams left)
- WCC (1.84 expected; 2 actual, no teams left)
- Pac-12 (.98 expected; 1 actual, no teams left)
- Big 12 (8.44 expected; 8 actual, with two teams left)
That leaves the ACC (8.64 expected; 6 actual, one team left) and the Mountain West (4.21 expected; 1 actual, no teams left) as the conference that have been worse than expected, according to seed.
If UNC wins it all, the ACC will still be half a win shy of what it should’ve. UNC needs to win it all for the ACC to do what was expected.
But don’t just blame Duke for any shortfallings. Florida State left at least one win out there.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)