Mar 25, 2012, 12:02 PM EST
The Big 12 is vying for bragging rights as college basketball’s best conference. But does that mean it had the best NCAA tournament?
It all depends on PASE.
The Performance Against Seed Expectation is a helpful tool to determine how well a league’s teams fared compared to how they should’ve fared. For example, the Big East placed the most teams in the field of 68 with nine. But those teams earned a wide range of seeds.
Syracuse was the highest (1), followed by Georgetown and Marquette (3s), Louisville (4), Cincinnati (6) and Notre Dame (7). Those all should’ve won at least one game according to seed. UConn (9), West Virginia (10) and South Florida (12) should’ve have. Given the history for their respective seeds fared in past NCAA tournaments, the Big East should win 12.21 games.
It’s won 14. (That includes South Florida’s First Four win, which probably should just count as half a victory. Anyway.)
Other conferences doing as expected or better include:
- SEC (5.97 expected; 7 actual, with one team left)
- Big Ten (10.86 expected; 11 actual, with one team left)
- A-10 (2.51 expected; 3 actual, no teams left)
- WCC (1.84 expected; 2 actual, no teams left)
- Pac-12 (.98 expected; 1 actual, no teams left)
- Big 12 (8.44 expected; 8 actual, with two teams left)
That leaves the ACC (8.64 expected; 6 actual, one team left) and the Mountain West (4.21 expected; 1 actual, no teams left) as the conference that have been worse than expected, according to seed.
If UNC wins it all, the ACC will still be half a win shy of what it should’ve. UNC needs to win it all for the ACC to do what was expected.
But don’t just blame Duke for any shortfallings. Florida State left at least one win out there.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)