Mar 26, 2012, 7:28 PM EST
Austin Rivers made it official on Monday. He’s leaving to Duke to enter the NBA draft.
The news first emerged last week, but the freshman guard discussed it further with his family over the weekend. He’ll hire an agent, precluding any chance of his return.
Rivers is expected to be a lottery pick in the draft.
“Austin had a terrific year as a freshman and has put himself in a position to pursue his dream of being a great player in the NBA,” coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement, adding his support. “We look forward to watching him continue to develop and excel at the next level.”
This now leaves Coach K with two one-and-dones in the last two years, both of them point guards. Who does he think he is? John Calipari?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)