Mar 26, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
What would have happened if Kevin Durant had gone to North Carolina?
A new piece from the New York Post says it could have happened, but coach Roy Williams went in a different direction.
According to writer Bill Feinberg, as told to Peter Vecsey in the piece, Durant had chosen North Carolina, but Williams decided to give his last scholarship to Brandan Wright, the 6-9 power forward from Tennessee.
Wright went on to be the No. 8 pick in the 2007 draft and is now with the Dallas Mavericks.
Who are some other notable names on that North Carolina roster? Six players in total were drafted into the NBA, including Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough, and Wayne Ellington, along with Danny Green, Reyshawn Terry, and the above-mentioned Wright.
In one season at Texas, Durant averaged almost 26 points and 11 rebounds per game, becoming the only freshman ever to win the Naismith Player of the Year award.
Since then, Durant has blossomed into a star in the NBA, 28 points and eight rebounds per game this season, while remaining one of the most youthful and approachable personalities in the league.
What’s my favorite Kevin Durant performance? It didn’t take place in an NBA arena.
Over the summer at Rucker Park in New York City, Durant hit four straight threes and brought the house down.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)