Mar 26, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
Dear every recruit in the country:
You guys know Robert Upshaw, right? He’s the 6-foot-11, 250 lb, high school senior that lives out in Fresno, CA, and is supposed to be attending Kansas State in the fall. Ring a bell?
Well, with the reports that Frank Martin could/is/will be/may end up at South Carolina by tomorrow, it appears that Upshaw won’t be heading to Manhattan after all. Why? Because when he signed with the Wildcats, he didn’t sign a National Letter of Intent, he signed an aid agreement.
When you sign an NLI, you have to go through the university to get a release in order to attend a different school, even if the head coach decides to leave. That’s just the way it is. The NCAA believes that you should be signing with the school because of what they offer academically when we all know that you will be signing with the coach because of what he offers athletically. Simply put, an NLI legally binds you to a school, not the coach.
Which is why what Upshaw did is so smart.
A financial aid agreement legally guarantees that you will be getting a scholarship, but it doesn’t bind you to the school. In other words, you are free to go anywhere else if you choose, but if you do decide to go to the school that you signed with, they will be paying for your scholarship. And with Martin potentially leaving Kansas State, Upshaw is free to re-open his recruitment. His list was narrowed down to Louisville, Georgetown, Fresno State and Kansas State when he committed, for what it’s worth.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)