Mar 26, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
Dear every recruit in the country:
You guys know Robert Upshaw, right? He’s the 6-foot-11, 250 lb, high school senior that lives out in Fresno, CA, and is supposed to be attending Kansas State in the fall. Ring a bell?
Well, with the reports that Frank Martin could/is/will be/may end up at South Carolina by tomorrow, it appears that Upshaw won’t be heading to Manhattan after all. Why? Because when he signed with the Wildcats, he didn’t sign a National Letter of Intent, he signed an aid agreement.
When you sign an NLI, you have to go through the university to get a release in order to attend a different school, even if the head coach decides to leave. That’s just the way it is. The NCAA believes that you should be signing with the school because of what they offer academically when we all know that you will be signing with the coach because of what he offers athletically. Simply put, an NLI legally binds you to a school, not the coach.
Which is why what Upshaw did is so smart.
A financial aid agreement legally guarantees that you will be getting a scholarship, but it doesn’t bind you to the school. In other words, you are free to go anywhere else if you choose, but if you do decide to go to the school that you signed with, they will be paying for your scholarship. And with Martin potentially leaving Kansas State, Upshaw is free to re-open his recruitment. His list was narrowed down to Louisville, Georgetown, Fresno State and Kansas State when he committed, for what it’s worth.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)