Mar 26, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
Dear every recruit in the country:
You guys know Robert Upshaw, right? He’s the 6-foot-11, 250 lb, high school senior that lives out in Fresno, CA, and is supposed to be attending Kansas State in the fall. Ring a bell?
Well, with the reports that Frank Martin could/is/will be/may end up at South Carolina by tomorrow, it appears that Upshaw won’t be heading to Manhattan after all. Why? Because when he signed with the Wildcats, he didn’t sign a National Letter of Intent, he signed an aid agreement.
When you sign an NLI, you have to go through the university to get a release in order to attend a different school, even if the head coach decides to leave. That’s just the way it is. The NCAA believes that you should be signing with the school because of what they offer academically when we all know that you will be signing with the coach because of what he offers athletically. Simply put, an NLI legally binds you to a school, not the coach.
Which is why what Upshaw did is so smart.
A financial aid agreement legally guarantees that you will be getting a scholarship, but it doesn’t bind you to the school. In other words, you are free to go anywhere else if you choose, but if you do decide to go to the school that you signed with, they will be paying for your scholarship. And with Martin potentially leaving Kansas State, Upshaw is free to re-open his recruitment. His list was narrowed down to Louisville, Georgetown, Fresno State and Kansas State when he committed, for what it’s worth.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)