Mar 27, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
So much for a “down year” for the Connecticut women’s team. The Huskies are headed to the Final Four for the fifth consecutive season after beating Kentucky 80-65 in the NCAA tournament on Tuesday night.
Not that it was easy.
UConn (33-4) led by one point early in the second half before putting together a 21-4 run to win going away, with the help of 12 made free throws during that crucial stretch. Tiffany Hayes scored 22 points and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis added 18 for the Huskies, who tied the school record with five straight trips to the final weekend.
It’s the 13th Final Four appearance for the Huskies, all since 1991. They’ve also won seven tournament title since then.
Kentucky (28-7) was led by Samarie Walker’s 14 points.
UConn will play the Notre Dame on Sunday in Denver.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)