Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
A source tells NBCSports.com that guard C.J. McCollum is on track to forego his senior season at Lehigh and enter the NBA draft.
A press release from Lehigh now confirms the source information and adds that McCollum will not hire an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the draft and return to Lehigh before the NCAA’s April 10 early-entry deadline.
McCollum burst onto the national scene during the NCAA tournament, when he put up 30 points in an upset of Duke in the Round of 64.
On the season, he averaged 21.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game, winning his second straight Patriot League Player of the Year award and finishing sixth in the nation in scoring per game. He was also named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
He outdueled a player who will enter his name in the 2012 draft as well, Austin Rivers, in that NCAA tournament game. Rivers had 19 points in the loss.
Out of high school, McCollum was not highly recruited, due in part to his lack of height, standing just 5-6. After a growth spurt, the Ohio native now stands 6-3 and 190 pounds.
Scouting services say McCollum could go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of the 2012 draft.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)