Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
A source tells NBCSports.com that guard C.J. McCollum is on track to forego his senior season at Lehigh and enter the NBA draft.
A press release from Lehigh now confirms the source information and adds that McCollum will not hire an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the draft and return to Lehigh before the NCAA’s April 10 early-entry deadline.
McCollum burst onto the national scene during the NCAA tournament, when he put up 30 points in an upset of Duke in the Round of 64.
On the season, he averaged 21.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game, winning his second straight Patriot League Player of the Year award and finishing sixth in the nation in scoring per game. He was also named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
He outdueled a player who will enter his name in the 2012 draft as well, Austin Rivers, in that NCAA tournament game. Rivers had 19 points in the loss.
Out of high school, McCollum was not highly recruited, due in part to his lack of height, standing just 5-6. After a growth spurt, the Ohio native now stands 6-3 and 190 pounds.
Scouting services say McCollum could go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of the 2012 draft.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)