Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
A source tells NBCSports.com that guard C.J. McCollum is on track to forego his senior season at Lehigh and enter the NBA draft.
A press release from Lehigh now confirms the source information and adds that McCollum will not hire an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the draft and return to Lehigh before the NCAA’s April 10 early-entry deadline.
McCollum burst onto the national scene during the NCAA tournament, when he put up 30 points in an upset of Duke in the Round of 64.
On the season, he averaged 21.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game, winning his second straight Patriot League Player of the Year award and finishing sixth in the nation in scoring per game. He was also named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
He outdueled a player who will enter his name in the 2012 draft as well, Austin Rivers, in that NCAA tournament game. Rivers had 19 points in the loss.
Out of high school, McCollum was not highly recruited, due in part to his lack of height, standing just 5-6. After a growth spurt, the Ohio native now stands 6-3 and 190 pounds.
Scouting services say McCollum could go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of the 2012 draft.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)