Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
A source tells NBCSports.com that guard C.J. McCollum is on track to forego his senior season at Lehigh and enter the NBA draft.
A press release from Lehigh now confirms the source information and adds that McCollum will not hire an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the draft and return to Lehigh before the NCAA’s April 10 early-entry deadline.
McCollum burst onto the national scene during the NCAA tournament, when he put up 30 points in an upset of Duke in the Round of 64.
On the season, he averaged 21.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game, winning his second straight Patriot League Player of the Year award and finishing sixth in the nation in scoring per game. He was also named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
He outdueled a player who will enter his name in the 2012 draft as well, Austin Rivers, in that NCAA tournament game. Rivers had 19 points in the loss.
Out of high school, McCollum was not highly recruited, due in part to his lack of height, standing just 5-6. After a growth spurt, the Ohio native now stands 6-3 and 190 pounds.
Scouting services say McCollum could go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of the 2012 draft.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 6
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 13
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)