Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
A source tells NBCSports.com that guard C.J. McCollum is on track to forego his senior season at Lehigh and enter the NBA draft.
A press release from Lehigh now confirms the source information and adds that McCollum will not hire an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the draft and return to Lehigh before the NCAA’s April 10 early-entry deadline.
McCollum burst onto the national scene during the NCAA tournament, when he put up 30 points in an upset of Duke in the Round of 64.
On the season, he averaged 21.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game, winning his second straight Patriot League Player of the Year award and finishing sixth in the nation in scoring per game. He was also named an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.
He outdueled a player who will enter his name in the 2012 draft as well, Austin Rivers, in that NCAA tournament game. Rivers had 19 points in the loss.
Out of high school, McCollum was not highly recruited, due in part to his lack of height, standing just 5-6. After a growth spurt, the Ohio native now stands 6-3 and 190 pounds.
Scouting services say McCollum could go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of the 2012 draft.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)