Mar 27, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The big news of the day is that Frank Martin is leaving Kansas State in order to become the new head coach at South Carolina. The decision to leave has a lot to do with his rocky relationship with K-State Athletic Director John Currie. He may not realize it now, but letting Martin walk was a huge mistake. The coaching search at K-State should get interesting.
– Vincent Council has announced that he will return to Providence for his senior season. With the addition of Chris Dunn and Ricardo Ledo, the Friars look to be much better in 2012-2013
– The All-American teams were released today, and Anthony Davis wasn’t a unanimous vote thanks to two voters. They would be smart to never step foot into the state of Kentucky. The first team was void of any backcourt players
– Harrison Barnes was a preseason All-American before his freshman season, but for the second straight year, he was nowhere near the A-A selections
– A quick yet informative primer on the Final Four
– Speaking of interesting coaching searches, the one at Illinois is turning into a debacle, so sayeth Chicago Tribune’s David Haugh. Illini fans are upset, and they probably should be. Ohio head coach John Groce is the clubhouse leader at the moment, but no there have been no offers yet
– Steve Prohm has agreed to a one-year extension with Murray State. if Prohm can replicate the success his team had this year, he will be a top candidate for every opening in the country
– Random Craigslist offerings are becoming a disturbing trend when championship games roll around. First it was the Philadelphia fan who was offering sex for Phillies’ World Series tickets. Now there’s a Kentucky fan that is will sell his wife for Final Four tickets
– Syracuse guard Dion Waiters will leave school in order to declare for the NBA draft. Waiters had a tremendous sophomore season, and was named Sixth man of the Year, but he did threaten to trasnfer at the end of last season.
– Mississippi State should have an interesting off-season. Rick Stansbury retired at the end of the season. Arnett Moultrie should get drafted in the first round of June’s NBA draft. Renardo Sidney has decided to declare for the draft after two drama-filled seasons, and freshman Deville Smith has decided to leave school. Will anybody actually draft Sidney? I certainly hope not
– With Tim Miles leaving Colorado State in order to take over at Nebraska, are a few Big Sky coaches in the mix for the vacancy?
– Bruiser Flint has been given a contract extension at Drexel. The Dragons had one of their best season in recent history and were the top Selection Sunday snub.
– North Carolina assistant Jerod Haase has been hired at UAB as the new head basketball coach
– A running list of the NBA draft early entrants
– Austin Rivers is officially declaring for the NBA draft. The Duke freshman had a decent season, capped by his buzzer-beating game-winner against UNC. But he did get removed from the starting lineup at one point. That being said, he’s still going to get drafted in the first round
– After early reports indicated he would enter the draft, Texas freshman Myck Kabongo has decided to return to Austin for his sophomore season
– Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham will reportedly test the NBA draft waters
– Rice freshman point guard Dylan Ennis and forward Jarelle Reischel have decided to transfer from the university
– Steve Alford’s son Bryce will attend New Mexico in order to play for his dad
– Paul Biancardi breaks down a list of one-on-one matchups he can’t wait to see at the McDonald’s All-American game
– If you want to read a 4,000 word post recapping four of the one-bid leagues, this post is for you
– Now, this is a conference recap I can focus on. Hustle Belt details the peaks and valleys of all the MAC teams
– The merger between Conference-USA and the Mountain West Conference has been put on hold
– The CAA is vehemently denying that VCU and George Mason will leave in order to join the Atlantic-10
– St. Joseph’s had a good year. They faded down the stretch, but if they can make some improvements, next season could be special
– Of course Kentucky is going to bring the heat on Louisville fans. If you love a good back-and-forth insult-fest, strap in for the next four days. This argument might be different if UNC hadn’t lost to Kansas, but well, they did. Is Louisville-Kentucky the best rivalry in the country? Card Chronicle certainly thinks so.
– If you didn’t do this at least once as a child, you aren’t a college basketball fan
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)