Mar 27, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The big news of the day is that Frank Martin is leaving Kansas State in order to become the new head coach at South Carolina. The decision to leave has a lot to do with his rocky relationship with K-State Athletic Director John Currie. He may not realize it now, but letting Martin walk was a huge mistake. The coaching search at K-State should get interesting.
- Vincent Council has announced that he will return to Providence for his senior season. With the addition of Chris Dunn and Ricardo Ledo, the Friars look to be much better in 2012-2013
- The All-American teams were released today, and Anthony Davis wasn’t a unanimous vote thanks to two voters. They would be smart to never step foot into the state of Kentucky. The first team was void of any backcourt players
- Harrison Barnes was a preseason All-American before his freshman season, but for the second straight year, he was nowhere near the A-A selections
- A quick yet informative primer on the Final Four
- Speaking of interesting coaching searches, the one at Illinois is turning into a debacle, so sayeth Chicago Tribune’s David Haugh. Illini fans are upset, and they probably should be. Ohio head coach John Groce is the clubhouse leader at the moment, but no there have been no offers yet
- Steve Prohm has agreed to a one-year extension with Murray State. if Prohm can replicate the success his team had this year, he will be a top candidate for every opening in the country
- Random Craigslist offerings are becoming a disturbing trend when championship games roll around. First it was the Philadelphia fan who was offering sex for Phillies’ World Series tickets. Now there’s a Kentucky fan that is will sell his wife for Final Four tickets
- Syracuse guard Dion Waiters will leave school in order to declare for the NBA draft. Waiters had a tremendous sophomore season, and was named Sixth man of the Year, but he did threaten to trasnfer at the end of last season.
- Mississippi State should have an interesting off-season. Rick Stansbury retired at the end of the season. Arnett Moultrie should get drafted in the first round of June’s NBA draft. Renardo Sidney has decided to declare for the draft after two drama-filled seasons, and freshman Deville Smith has decided to leave school. Will anybody actually draft Sidney? I certainly hope not
- With Tim Miles leaving Colorado State in order to take over at Nebraska, are a few Big Sky coaches in the mix for the vacancy?
- Bruiser Flint has been given a contract extension at Drexel. The Dragons had one of their best season in recent history and were the top Selection Sunday snub.
- North Carolina assistant Jerod Haase has been hired at UAB as the new head basketball coach
- A running list of the NBA draft early entrants
- Austin Rivers is officially declaring for the NBA draft. The Duke freshman had a decent season, capped by his buzzer-beating game-winner against UNC. But he did get removed from the starting lineup at one point. That being said, he’s still going to get drafted in the first round
- After early reports indicated he would enter the draft, Texas freshman Myck Kabongo has decided to return to Austin for his sophomore season
- Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham will reportedly test the NBA draft waters
- Rice freshman point guard Dylan Ennis and forward Jarelle Reischel have decided to transfer from the university
- Steve Alford’s son Bryce will attend New Mexico in order to play for his dad
- Paul Biancardi breaks down a list of one-on-one matchups he can’t wait to see at the McDonald’s All-American game
- If you want to read a 4,000 word post recapping four of the one-bid leagues, this post is for you
- Now, this is a conference recap I can focus on. Hustle Belt details the peaks and valleys of all the MAC teams
- The merger between Conference-USA and the Mountain West Conference has been put on hold
- The CAA is vehemently denying that VCU and George Mason will leave in order to join the Atlantic-10
- St. Joseph’s had a good year. They faded down the stretch, but if they can make some improvements, next season could be special
- Of course Kentucky is going to bring the heat on Louisville fans. If you love a good back-and-forth insult-fest, strap in for the next four days. This argument might be different if UNC hadn’t lost to Kansas, but well, they did. Is Louisville-Kentucky the best rivalry in the country? Card Chronicle certainly thinks so.
- If you didn’t do this at least once as a child, you aren’t a college basketball fan
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)