Mar 27, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
The big news of the day is that Frank Martin is leaving Kansas State in order to become the new head coach at South Carolina. The decision to leave has a lot to do with his rocky relationship with K-State Athletic Director John Currie. He may not realize it now, but letting Martin walk was a huge mistake. The coaching search at K-State should get interesting.
– Vincent Council has announced that he will return to Providence for his senior season. With the addition of Chris Dunn and Ricardo Ledo, the Friars look to be much better in 2012-2013
– The All-American teams were released today, and Anthony Davis wasn’t a unanimous vote thanks to two voters. They would be smart to never step foot into the state of Kentucky. The first team was void of any backcourt players
– Harrison Barnes was a preseason All-American before his freshman season, but for the second straight year, he was nowhere near the A-A selections
– A quick yet informative primer on the Final Four
– Speaking of interesting coaching searches, the one at Illinois is turning into a debacle, so sayeth Chicago Tribune’s David Haugh. Illini fans are upset, and they probably should be. Ohio head coach John Groce is the clubhouse leader at the moment, but no there have been no offers yet
– Steve Prohm has agreed to a one-year extension with Murray State. if Prohm can replicate the success his team had this year, he will be a top candidate for every opening in the country
– Random Craigslist offerings are becoming a disturbing trend when championship games roll around. First it was the Philadelphia fan who was offering sex for Phillies’ World Series tickets. Now there’s a Kentucky fan that is will sell his wife for Final Four tickets
– Syracuse guard Dion Waiters will leave school in order to declare for the NBA draft. Waiters had a tremendous sophomore season, and was named Sixth man of the Year, but he did threaten to trasnfer at the end of last season.
– Mississippi State should have an interesting off-season. Rick Stansbury retired at the end of the season. Arnett Moultrie should get drafted in the first round of June’s NBA draft. Renardo Sidney has decided to declare for the draft after two drama-filled seasons, and freshman Deville Smith has decided to leave school. Will anybody actually draft Sidney? I certainly hope not
– With Tim Miles leaving Colorado State in order to take over at Nebraska, are a few Big Sky coaches in the mix for the vacancy?
– Bruiser Flint has been given a contract extension at Drexel. The Dragons had one of their best season in recent history and were the top Selection Sunday snub.
– North Carolina assistant Jerod Haase has been hired at UAB as the new head basketball coach
– A running list of the NBA draft early entrants
– Austin Rivers is officially declaring for the NBA draft. The Duke freshman had a decent season, capped by his buzzer-beating game-winner against UNC. But he did get removed from the starting lineup at one point. That being said, he’s still going to get drafted in the first round
– After early reports indicated he would enter the draft, Texas freshman Myck Kabongo has decided to return to Austin for his sophomore season
– Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham will reportedly test the NBA draft waters
– Rice freshman point guard Dylan Ennis and forward Jarelle Reischel have decided to transfer from the university
– Steve Alford’s son Bryce will attend New Mexico in order to play for his dad
– Paul Biancardi breaks down a list of one-on-one matchups he can’t wait to see at the McDonald’s All-American game
– If you want to read a 4,000 word post recapping four of the one-bid leagues, this post is for you
– Now, this is a conference recap I can focus on. Hustle Belt details the peaks and valleys of all the MAC teams
– The merger between Conference-USA and the Mountain West Conference has been put on hold
– The CAA is vehemently denying that VCU and George Mason will leave in order to join the Atlantic-10
– St. Joseph’s had a good year. They faded down the stretch, but if they can make some improvements, next season could be special
– Of course Kentucky is going to bring the heat on Louisville fans. If you love a good back-and-forth insult-fest, strap in for the next four days. This argument might be different if UNC hadn’t lost to Kansas, but well, they did. Is Louisville-Kentucky the best rivalry in the country? Card Chronicle certainly thinks so.
– If you didn’t do this at least once as a child, you aren’t a college basketball fan
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
Northwestern has lost its last three games by a total of five points.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 PM EST
Lucas Siewert joins small forward Brendan Bailey as Arizona State’s second four-star verbal commitment in the 2016 class.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
Also of note on Sunday was Ohio State picking up its first RPI Top 50 win of the season, and both No. 8 Notre Dame and No. 13 Maryland coming back from double-digit deficits.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski picked up career win No. 1,000 as the No. 5 Blue Devils bested St. John’s.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Well-traveled former Ole Miss guard Derrick Millinghaus has found a new home.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:21 PM EST
Kentucky is on the board in the 2016 class with a highly-touted big man from New Zealand.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
A former four-star prospect is heading to Rhode Island.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
A former Miami point guard is finding tremendous success on the football field and is a even being talked about as a first-rounder in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
One of the best big men in the 2016 class could decide between three powerhouse programs on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Coach K goes for win No. 1,000 against St. John’s and a fun battle of elite freshmen guards in the Big Ten are Sunday’s highlights.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 AM EST
I feel comfortable saying I’m a better dancer than Josh Pastner. Not by much, though.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Get caught up on everything that has happened in college basketball on Saturday.
Northwestern State staff wears special pants for ‘Suits and Sneakers’ game against McNeese State (PHOTO)
Jan 24, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
The pants worn by the coaching staff were one of the highlights in Northwestern State’s 92-68 win over McNeese State.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:31 PM EST
Crawford and his teammates are looking to rebound from the 18-point loss they suffered at Tulsa Wednesday night.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Peel finished the game with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks as the Blue Devils picked up their first win in NEC play.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Baylor really needed this win, but Oklahoma has now lost three of their last four.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Tribe bounced back from a loss at Delaware earlier in the week to move into a tie for first in the CAA.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)