Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Larry Brown’s coaching itch needs to be scratched so badly, he’s interested in the SMU job.
The Dallas News reports Brown has reached out to the school about becoming the man to follow the fired Matt Doherty, but it’s unclear if anything will come of it.
The Hall of Fame coach – he’s won a title in the NCAA and NBA – has coached 13 pro of college teams since 1972, but has been out of the game since his last gig with the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010. Brown, 71, hasn’t coached a college team since leaving Kansas in 1988.
But this isn’t the first time his name has been linked to one. He supposedly almost took the Stanford job in 2008 (it went to Johnny Dawkins).
He’d be the best coach SMU could find, but Brown’s age and his time spent away from the college game would make the hire an odd one. It’s not a hoops school (it hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1993) and is preparing a move to the Big East soon. Both would signal a coach able to make a significant time commitment to SMU.
Not a good idea for either side.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (22)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)