Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Larry Brown’s coaching itch needs to be scratched so badly, he’s interested in the SMU job.
The Dallas News reports Brown has reached out to the school about becoming the man to follow the fired Matt Doherty, but it’s unclear if anything will come of it.
The Hall of Fame coach – he’s won a title in the NCAA and NBA – has coached 13 pro of college teams since 1972, but has been out of the game since his last gig with the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010. Brown, 71, hasn’t coached a college team since leaving Kansas in 1988.
But this isn’t the first time his name has been linked to one. He supposedly almost took the Stanford job in 2008 (it went to Johnny Dawkins).
He’d be the best coach SMU could find, but Brown’s age and his time spent away from the college game would make the hire an odd one. It’s not a hoops school (it hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1993) and is preparing a move to the Big East soon. Both would signal a coach able to make a significant time commitment to SMU.
Not a good idea for either side.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)