Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Larry Brown’s coaching itch needs to be scratched so badly, he’s interested in the SMU job.
The Dallas News reports Brown has reached out to the school about becoming the man to follow the fired Matt Doherty, but it’s unclear if anything will come of it.
The Hall of Fame coach – he’s won a title in the NCAA and NBA – has coached 13 pro of college teams since 1972, but has been out of the game since his last gig with the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010. Brown, 71, hasn’t coached a college team since leaving Kansas in 1988.
But this isn’t the first time his name has been linked to one. He supposedly almost took the Stanford job in 2008 (it went to Johnny Dawkins).
He’d be the best coach SMU could find, but Brown’s age and his time spent away from the college game would make the hire an odd one. It’s not a hoops school (it hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1993) and is preparing a move to the Big East soon. Both would signal a coach able to make a significant time commitment to SMU.
Not a good idea for either side.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)