Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Larry Brown’s coaching itch needs to be scratched so badly, he’s interested in the SMU job.
The Dallas News reports Brown has reached out to the school about becoming the man to follow the fired Matt Doherty, but it’s unclear if anything will come of it.
The Hall of Fame coach – he’s won a title in the NCAA and NBA – has coached 13 pro of college teams since 1972, but has been out of the game since his last gig with the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010. Brown, 71, hasn’t coached a college team since leaving Kansas in 1988.
But this isn’t the first time his name has been linked to one. He supposedly almost took the Stanford job in 2008 (it went to Johnny Dawkins).
He’d be the best coach SMU could find, but Brown’s age and his time spent away from the college game would make the hire an odd one. It’s not a hoops school (it hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1993) and is preparing a move to the Big East soon. Both would signal a coach able to make a significant time commitment to SMU.
Not a good idea for either side.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)