Mar 28, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
Tulsa fired Doug Wojcik back on March 11th after seven seasons at the school. Wojcik won 140 games at Tulsa but couldn’t get over the hump when it came to beating Memphis (0-14) or getting to the NCAA tournament.
Manning has been a member of the Kansas coaching staff since March of 2007, and his move means that two members of the Kansas program will move on to take head coaching jobs.
Southern Illinois just hired Barry Hinson, who served as director of men’s basketball operations at KU.
Manning had a storied playing career at Kansas, leading the Jayhawks to the 1988 national title. It’s going to be tough to reach that level at Tulsa, but given Manning’s work in developing front court talent the Golden Hurricane have a chance to be successful with him at the helm.
Of Tulsa’s top five scorers from this season Steven Idlet was the lone senior, and with the likes of Jordan Clarkson and Kodi Maduka due to return Manning would have a talented team at his disposal.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)