Mar 29, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
Martin Methodist (located in Pulaski, Tennessee) guard James Justice entered the College Slam Dunk competition as the wild card entry thanks to online voting.
He left Fogleman Arena with a championship belt for his efforts. The senior with a 52-inch vertical capped an entertaining night with a between-the-legs dunk, beating Auburn’s Kenny Gabriel to win the title.
Reaching the semifinals along with Justice and Gabriel were Miami’s DeQuan Jones and Clemson’s Bryan Narcisse. It’s been said many times before but it’s true: the college dunk contest was far better than the NBA “competition” in February.
Not sure about the background music but here’s the video Martin Methodist put together to boost Justice’s chances of getting into the competition:
Last year the contest was won by another unknown at the time of entry, Illinois College guard Jacob Tucker. Tucker’s now a Harlem Globetrotter (as are five other college slam dunk contest winners), so maybe that could be a career option for Justice.
Another big winner was Northwestern wing John Shurna, who not only won the men’s 3-point contest but beat USC’s Ashley Corral with a 24-point performance in the battle of the champions.
Shurna’s hardest work came in the men’s final, where he needed to knock down his final seven shots to beat Temple’s Juan Fernandez…and did it. Corral won the women’s competition by scoring 20 points in the women’s final.
Photo Credit: Keith Myers/Kansas City Star
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)