Mar 30, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
Jim Carr is leaving the Rutgers basketball program to take a gig as a full assistant at Rhode Island under new head coach Danny Hurley.
Carr had been on staff at Rutgers for 13 of the last 15 years, most recently as the Director of Basketball Operations.
If the name sounds familiar, it should, as Carr made headlines last season as his son, Brayden, battled epileptic seizures. Brayden passed away last May. Carr started a charity in his son’s name that has raised over $75,000 since September.
Carr and Hurley have been close for years. When Hurley took over at Wagner two years ago, he tried to lure Carr away to join his staff.
You never get over losing a child, but a new job opportunity in a new location could help one of the good guys in this business work through the pain.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte