Apr 1, 2012, 11:17 PM EST
No team in the history of major college basketball, men’s or women’s, has ever won 40 games in a season much less gone 40-0.
Kim Mulkey’s Baylor Lady Bears are now one game away from doing just that.
Stanford was able to surround Brittney Griner, limiting the AP Player of the Year to 13 points on 3 of 9 shooting, but that didn’t matter as Baylor (39-0) won 59-47 in Denver.
Odyssey Sims scored 11 points and senior guard Terran Condrey, who entered the game averaging one point per game in the tournament, scored 13 off the bench to provide the added scoring punch Baylor needed.
It’s easy to think that the Lady Bears are solely about Griner, and with the impact that she can have at both ends of the floor that’s easy to do.
But if anything was learned by casual fans on Sunday night, it’s that Baylor’s used a lot more than just Griner’s game-changing abilities to get to 39-0.
Stanford senior Nneka Ogwumike scored a game-high 22 points and grabbed nine rebounds, but no other Cardinal (35-2) player reached double figures and as a result it’s Baylor who will play Notre Dame on Tuesday night.
The Cardinal needed to be able to knock down some perimeter shots and they were unable to do so, going 2 of 17 from beyond the arc. And outside of Nneka, Stanford shot 11 of 37 from the field as Baylor did a good job of limiting their good looks.
Baylor and Notre Dame met back on November 20th, with the Lady Bears winning 94-81 in Waco.
Skylar Diggins and Natalie Novosel combined to score 55 points for Notre Dame, but Griner was unstoppable with 32 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots.
Baylor whipped Notre Dame 52-37 on the boards, grabbing 20 offensive rebounds. Clearly Notre Dame will need more form Devereaux Peters and Natalie Achonwa (combined six points, 12 rebounds) in the rematch if they’re to win.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)