Apr 1, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Mississippi State will hire Clemson associate head coach Rick Ray to replace the departed Rick Stansbury.
This is Ray’s first head coaching job, and he’ll have his work cut out for him at the start as the Bulldogs stand to undergo a heavy roster turnover in the off-season.
Forward Arnett Moultrie has yet to come to a decision in regards to what he’ll do, be it remain in Starkville, enter the NBA Draft or transfer to another school. Dee Bost and Brian Bryant are out of eligibility and Renardo Sidney will enter the NBA Draft.
Key returnees, should they decide to remain in Starkville, include freshmen Rodney Hood and Deville Smith, and sophomore Jalen Steele.
Stansbury “retired” after 14 seasons in Starkville, winning 293 games but the last two years proved to be his undoing.
The 2011-12 edition lost seven of their final nine games, going from a team that looked to be a lock for the NCAA tournament to one that lost in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
In two seasons as associate head coach at Clemson, Ray worked with the perimeter players and that included Third Team All-ACC selection Demontez Stitt in 2010-11.
Before that Ray spent four seasons on Matt Painter’s staff at Purdue, where he helped recruit one of the best classes in school history and worked with the likes of Robbie Hummel, Chris Kramer and E’Twaun Moore.
Photo Credit: My Orange Update
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)