Apr 1, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Mississippi State will hire Clemson associate head coach Rick Ray to replace the departed Rick Stansbury.
This is Ray’s first head coaching job, and he’ll have his work cut out for him at the start as the Bulldogs stand to undergo a heavy roster turnover in the off-season.
Forward Arnett Moultrie has yet to come to a decision in regards to what he’ll do, be it remain in Starkville, enter the NBA Draft or transfer to another school. Dee Bost and Brian Bryant are out of eligibility and Renardo Sidney will enter the NBA Draft.
Key returnees, should they decide to remain in Starkville, include freshmen Rodney Hood and Deville Smith, and sophomore Jalen Steele.
Stansbury “retired” after 14 seasons in Starkville, winning 293 games but the last two years proved to be his undoing.
The 2011-12 edition lost seven of their final nine games, going from a team that looked to be a lock for the NCAA tournament to one that lost in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
In two seasons as associate head coach at Clemson, Ray worked with the perimeter players and that included Third Team All-ACC selection Demontez Stitt in 2010-11.
Before that Ray spent four seasons on Matt Painter’s staff at Purdue, where he helped recruit one of the best classes in school history and worked with the likes of Robbie Hummel, Chris Kramer and E’Twaun Moore.
Photo Credit: My Orange Update
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 5
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)