Apr 1, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Mississippi State will hire Clemson associate head coach Rick Ray to replace the departed Rick Stansbury.
This is Ray’s first head coaching job, and he’ll have his work cut out for him at the start as the Bulldogs stand to undergo a heavy roster turnover in the off-season.
Forward Arnett Moultrie has yet to come to a decision in regards to what he’ll do, be it remain in Starkville, enter the NBA Draft or transfer to another school. Dee Bost and Brian Bryant are out of eligibility and Renardo Sidney will enter the NBA Draft.
Key returnees, should they decide to remain in Starkville, include freshmen Rodney Hood and Deville Smith, and sophomore Jalen Steele.
Stansbury “retired” after 14 seasons in Starkville, winning 293 games but the last two years proved to be his undoing.
The 2011-12 edition lost seven of their final nine games, going from a team that looked to be a lock for the NCAA tournament to one that lost in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
In two seasons as associate head coach at Clemson, Ray worked with the perimeter players and that included Third Team All-ACC selection Demontez Stitt in 2010-11.
Before that Ray spent four seasons on Matt Painter’s staff at Purdue, where he helped recruit one of the best classes in school history and worked with the likes of Robbie Hummel, Chris Kramer and E’Twaun Moore.
Photo Credit: My Orange Update
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)