Apr 2, 2012, 11:18 AM EST
After averaging 20.1 points and 3.8 assists this past season for the Texas Longhorns, junior guard J’Covan Brown will forego his senior season and enter the NBA draft, the school announced Monday morning.
“It was always my dream to be a Longhorn, and I have lived that dream and become a better person,” said Brown in a statement.
Brown was the leading scorer on a team that went 20-14 on the year and lost in the Round of 64 to Cincinnati this past March. He nearly doubled his scoring average between his sophomore and junior seasons and led the Big 12 in that category, ahead of Kansas’ Thomas Robinson and Missouri’s Marcus Denmon.
In a statement, Brown said he considered returning to Texas to complete his degree, but he believes now is the right time to pursue a career in professional basketball.
Just a few weeks back, Brown’s complement in the backcourt, freshman Myck Kabongo, announced that he will be staying in school and return for his sophomore season.
“Our staff wishes J’Covan and his family nothing but success as he moves forward,” said Texas coach Rick Barnes. “We’ve literally seen J’Covan grow up and mature before our eyes over the last three years here, and we are proud of the man that he has become.”
Draft Express projects Brown to be selected at the end of the second round in this year’s draft.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)