Apr 2, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
After averaging 20.1 points and 3.8 assists this past season for the Texas Longhorns, junior guard J’Covan Brown will forego his senior season and enter the NBA draft, the school announced Monday morning.
“It was always my dream to be a Longhorn, and I have lived that dream and become a better person,” said Brown in a statement.
Brown was the leading scorer on a team that went 20-14 on the year and lost in the Round of 64 to Cincinnati this past March. He nearly doubled his scoring average between his sophomore and junior seasons and led the Big 12 in that category, ahead of Kansas’ Thomas Robinson and Missouri’s Marcus Denmon.
In a statement, Brown said he considered returning to Texas to complete his degree, but he believes now is the right time to pursue a career in professional basketball.
Just a few weeks back, Brown’s complement in the backcourt, freshman Myck Kabongo, announced that he will be staying in school and return for his sophomore season.
“Our staff wishes J’Covan and his family nothing but success as he moves forward,” said Texas coach Rick Barnes. “We’ve literally seen J’Covan grow up and mature before our eyes over the last three years here, and we are proud of the man that he has become.”
Draft Express projects Brown to be selected at the end of the second round in this year’s draft.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)