Apr 2, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
There’s a reason Darius Miller is Kentucky’s steady presence. He’s seen it all.
Monday night will mark the senior’s 152nd career game, breaking the school record for games played held by former point guard Wayne Turner. Yes, the same Wayne Turner who seemingly played in just about every Kentucky game in the 1990s.
“That’s crazy. We were all shocked when we heard that,” sophomore teammate Terrence Jones said regarding Jones’ milestone.
Not that it’s been a smooth ride for Miller.
The 6-7 wing began his time in Lexington during the Billy Gillispie era, which included a rare Kentucky trip to the NIT. But the last three season have included three regular-season SEC titles and two Final Four appearances.
And now he can end it with a title. That’s what one calls the ideal career arc.
“It’s very emotional. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point. I feel like we’ve all did a great job throughout the whole year. This is what we’ve been reaching for,” he said. “At the end of this game we have a chance to win a national championship. It’s an opportunity that not most people get. Can’t really explain it in words. You have to experience it.
“For me to be able to experience it with these guys who I’ve grown to be brothers with, it means a lot to me. Especially, in my freshman year, I was in the NIT. It was terrible.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)