Apr 2, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
There’s a reason Darius Miller is Kentucky’s steady presence. He’s seen it all.
Monday night will mark the senior’s 152nd career game, breaking the school record for games played held by former point guard Wayne Turner. Yes, the same Wayne Turner who seemingly played in just about every Kentucky game in the 1990s.
“That’s crazy. We were all shocked when we heard that,” sophomore teammate Terrence Jones said regarding Jones’ milestone.
Not that it’s been a smooth ride for Miller.
The 6-7 wing began his time in Lexington during the Billy Gillispie era, which included a rare Kentucky trip to the NIT. But the last three season have included three regular-season SEC titles and two Final Four appearances.
And now he can end it with a title. That’s what one calls the ideal career arc.
“It’s very emotional. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point. I feel like we’ve all did a great job throughout the whole year. This is what we’ve been reaching for,” he said. “At the end of this game we have a chance to win a national championship. It’s an opportunity that not most people get. Can’t really explain it in words. You have to experience it.
“For me to be able to experience it with these guys who I’ve grown to be brothers with, it means a lot to me. Especially, in my freshman year, I was in the NIT. It was terrible.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)