Apr 2, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
There’s a reason Darius Miller is Kentucky’s steady presence. He’s seen it all.
Monday night will mark the senior’s 152nd career game, breaking the school record for games played held by former point guard Wayne Turner. Yes, the same Wayne Turner who seemingly played in just about every Kentucky game in the 1990s.
“That’s crazy. We were all shocked when we heard that,” sophomore teammate Terrence Jones said regarding Jones’ milestone.
Not that it’s been a smooth ride for Miller.
The 6-7 wing began his time in Lexington during the Billy Gillispie era, which included a rare Kentucky trip to the NIT. But the last three season have included three regular-season SEC titles and two Final Four appearances.
And now he can end it with a title. That’s what one calls the ideal career arc.
“It’s very emotional. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point. I feel like we’ve all did a great job throughout the whole year. This is what we’ve been reaching for,” he said. “At the end of this game we have a chance to win a national championship. It’s an opportunity that not most people get. Can’t really explain it in words. You have to experience it.
“For me to be able to experience it with these guys who I’ve grown to be brothers with, it means a lot to me. Especially, in my freshman year, I was in the NIT. It was terrible.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)