Apr 2, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
There’s a reason Darius Miller is Kentucky’s steady presence. He’s seen it all.
Monday night will mark the senior’s 152nd career game, breaking the school record for games played held by former point guard Wayne Turner. Yes, the same Wayne Turner who seemingly played in just about every Kentucky game in the 1990s.
“That’s crazy. We were all shocked when we heard that,” sophomore teammate Terrence Jones said regarding Jones’ milestone.
Not that it’s been a smooth ride for Miller.
The 6-7 wing began his time in Lexington during the Billy Gillispie era, which included a rare Kentucky trip to the NIT. But the last three season have included three regular-season SEC titles and two Final Four appearances.
And now he can end it with a title. That’s what one calls the ideal career arc.
“It’s very emotional. We’ve worked extremely hard to get to this point. I feel like we’ve all did a great job throughout the whole year. This is what we’ve been reaching for,” he said. “At the end of this game we have a chance to win a national championship. It’s an opportunity that not most people get. Can’t really explain it in words. You have to experience it.
“For me to be able to experience it with these guys who I’ve grown to be brothers with, it means a lot to me. Especially, in my freshman year, I was in the NIT. It was terrible.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)