Apr 2, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Forbes took a look at the business behind Monday night’s national title game, who is profiting and how.
Let’s break down the players, coaches, and schools involved in tonight’s national title game
Bill Self, Kansas head coach
Self has a base salary of $3 million, but scored another $100,000 when his Jayhawks reached the Final Four and stands to make another $200,000 if Kansas beats Kentucky and wins the national title. On top of all that, an AP Coach of the Year award would give him another $50,000.
John Calipari, Kentucky head coach
The third-year Kentucky coach has $325,000 worth of bonuses already in pocket, and can more than double that with a win on Monday night, which would net him another $375,000. Forbes also mentions the possibility of increased sponsorship, if Calipari wins.
This is debatable. Forbes goes as far as to say that players who enter the NBA draft after this season, namely Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, and Terrence Jones, would be boosting their stock and, thus, their value in the upcoming draft.
In reality, the players aren’t tangibly profiting, and certainly not in the same way that their coaches are. That is how the NCAA business model functions, with its emphasis on amateurism.
As the piece points out, schools do not profit directly, but are earning money indirectly from free advertisement of their brand, an increase in ticket prices, and the possibility of increased enrollment in the coming season.
For the full breakdown, check out the Forbes piece here.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)