Apr 3, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Next up for Kentucky? Re-loading.
The Wildcats should be among the teams to beat in 2012-13 despite the probability of losing all five starters and senior sixth man Darius Miller. Center Anthony Davis, the national player of the year, is a lock to be the No. 1 overall selection. Wing Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and forward Terrence Jones are lottery picks. Point guard Marquis Teague boosted his draft stock with a superb title game, while shooting guard Doron Lamb merely led all scorers in the 67-59 win against Kansas.
Not that any of them were willing to commit to the NBA after the win. Bask in the victory first, then decide.
“I’m going to wait, sit down with my coach, sit down with my family, see what the best decision is for me,” Davis said.
There’s little doubt he’s going. Same goes for the others. Kentucky coach John Calipari’s always maintained he’s proudest when his players get selected in the NBA draft. When five guys were taken in the 2010 draft, he declared it the biggest moment in school history.
They might get six this season. But even Calipari was coy about when any of the players might decide. The NCAA’s deadline to withdraw a player’s name from the NBA draft is April 11. That’s much earlier than the NBA’s deadline.
“We’re not going to worry about the (NCAA) date. Our guys will tell me when they want to tell me … whenever the date is to make a decision by the NBA standards,” Calipari said. “That’s the only one we’re going to the think about. So if they want to wait to make a decision by the (29th) when they have to by the NBA, that’s when they’ll make it.
“We’re not even … I don’t even know the other date, nor do I care.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 0
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)