Apr 3, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Next up for Kentucky? Re-loading.
The Wildcats should be among the teams to beat in 2012-13 despite the probability of losing all five starters and senior sixth man Darius Miller. Center Anthony Davis, the national player of the year, is a lock to be the No. 1 overall selection. Wing Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and forward Terrence Jones are lottery picks. Point guard Marquis Teague boosted his draft stock with a superb title game, while shooting guard Doron Lamb merely led all scorers in the 67-59 win against Kansas.
Not that any of them were willing to commit to the NBA after the win. Bask in the victory first, then decide.
“I’m going to wait, sit down with my coach, sit down with my family, see what the best decision is for me,” Davis said.
There’s little doubt he’s going. Same goes for the others. Kentucky coach John Calipari’s always maintained he’s proudest when his players get selected in the NBA draft. When five guys were taken in the 2010 draft, he declared it the biggest moment in school history.
They might get six this season. But even Calipari was coy about when any of the players might decide. The NCAA’s deadline to withdraw a player’s name from the NBA draft is April 11. That’s much earlier than the NBA’s deadline.
“We’re not going to worry about the (NCAA) date. Our guys will tell me when they want to tell me … whenever the date is to make a decision by the NBA standards,” Calipari said. “That’s the only one we’re going to the think about. So if they want to wait to make a decision by the (29th) when they have to by the NBA, that’s when they’ll make it.
“We’re not even … I don’t even know the other date, nor do I care.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)