Apr 3, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Next up for Kentucky? Re-loading.
The Wildcats should be among the teams to beat in 2012-13 despite the probability of losing all five starters and senior sixth man Darius Miller. Center Anthony Davis, the national player of the year, is a lock to be the No. 1 overall selection. Wing Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and forward Terrence Jones are lottery picks. Point guard Marquis Teague boosted his draft stock with a superb title game, while shooting guard Doron Lamb merely led all scorers in the 67-59 win against Kansas.
Not that any of them were willing to commit to the NBA after the win. Bask in the victory first, then decide.
“I’m going to wait, sit down with my coach, sit down with my family, see what the best decision is for me,” Davis said.
There’s little doubt he’s going. Same goes for the others. Kentucky coach John Calipari’s always maintained he’s proudest when his players get selected in the NBA draft. When five guys were taken in the 2010 draft, he declared it the biggest moment in school history.
They might get six this season. But even Calipari was coy about when any of the players might decide. The NCAA’s deadline to withdraw a player’s name from the NBA draft is April 11. That’s much earlier than the NBA’s deadline.
“We’re not going to worry about the (NCAA) date. Our guys will tell me when they want to tell me … whenever the date is to make a decision by the NBA standards,” Calipari said. “That’s the only one we’re going to the think about. So if they want to wait to make a decision by the (29th) when they have to by the NBA, that’s when they’ll make it.
“We’re not even … I don’t even know the other date, nor do I care.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)