Apr 3, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
No more jokes about Syracuse never leaving the state of New York during its non-conference schedule.
The Orange will play against San Diego State in the inaugural Battle on the Midway on the flight deck of the USS Midway Museum on Nov. 9.
Yes, game in San Diego to start the season. Guessing Sean Keeley is already compiling material.
Both coaches issued standard statements about the game.
“It will be a great experience for our players to compete against a quality program like San Diego State and at the same time be a part of Veterans Day weekend activities in San Diego,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said.
“We look forward to bringing the focus of the nation to the military, the city and San Diego State University with this wonderful event,” SDSU coach Steve Fisher said. “It is natural for SDSU to take a part in an event which will showcase our community to the country. The fact that we are playing Syracuse, the top-ranked squad for most of this past season and a perennial top-10 team, will help make it a national draw.”
The game’s part of a Veterans Day celebration in San Diego and continues what the Carrier Classic started in the 2012-13 season when North Carolina and Michigan State on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson. It’s likely to be played in front of 4,000 fans, about half the capacity of the Carrier Classic.
Organizers of that event are still looking for teams to play in the second Carrier Classic, which is reportedly set to be played in Charleston, S.C.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming