Apr 4, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
Multiple reports indicate Michigan point guard Trey Burke will declare for the NBA draft, though his dad wants everyone to know nothing’s happened yet.
Last week, Burke had been weighing his option and discussing matters with his family. The freshman met with coach John Beilein on Monday about his future. Beielin didn’t comment.
His dad, Benji, tweeted earlier Wednesday that “Trey Burke has not declared for the NBA draft. He is still enrolled at the University of Michigan.” That just means Burke hasn’t made a decision yet.
If Burke files his paperwork this week, he has until Tuesday to withdraw his name from the draft, per the NCAA’s new rule. If he doesn’t, he has until April 29 to submit his name into the draft.
The Big Ten’s co-freshman of the year led the Wolverines (24-10) in scoring (14.8 ppg), assists (4.6 apg) and steals (.9 spg) and helped them to a share of the Big Ten title. He’s listed at 5-11, which is one of the thing preventing him from a first-round lock.
If he does declare, he’ll be the third Michigan player to leave early for the NBA in the last three years. Point guard Darius Morris departed after his sophomore season in 2011 and shooting guard Manny Harris bolted after his junior year in 2010.
If Burke stays, we expect the Wolverines to be a Top 10 team.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights