Apr 4, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
North Carolina can’t seem to escape the injury bug, even with players who haven’t played a minute in Tar Heel blue.
Evan Daniels of Scout.com is reporting that Marcus Paige, a point guard from Marion, Iowa, who is signed to play with UNC from the Class of 2012, suffered a stress fracture in his left foot and has withdrawn from the Nike Hoop Summit.
Paige’s vacant roster spot has been filled by Pittsburgh-bound guard James Robinson of DeMatha (Md.).
Throughout the year North Carolina was fighting injuries, including torn ACL’s suffered by guards Dexter Strickland and Leslie McDonald. Point guard Kendall Marshall fractured his wrist in the NCAA tournament, which may have kept the Tar Heels from advancing farther than they did in 2011-12.
Paige was a McDonald’s All-American selection this season and had six points and seven assists in the All-American game, which took place last week in Chicago. He is expected to replace Marshall at the point guard position next season, as Marshall has chosen to declare for the NBA draft.
He will have big shoes to fill. Marshall set the ACC single-season record for assists this season at North Carolina.
Paige looks to have the stats to make for a seamless transition, as he averaged 28.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists at Lin-Mar High School (Ia.) and won the Player of the Year award in the state.
The 6-1 guard signed a letter of intent to play for North Carolina in January, turning down schools that include Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Virginia to head to Chapel Hill.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming