Apr 5, 2012, 4:14 PM EST
While Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and John Henson will be headed to the NBA draft, freshman James Michael McAdoo will stay behind and play at least one more season in Chapel Hill, the school announced Thursday afternoon.
“I’ve had several discussions about my future plans with my family and Coach Williams and have decided to return to UNC to continue playing for the Tar Heels and continue my education,” said McAdoo in a statement. “I love being at Carolina and really enjoy competing with and being around my teammates and am excited about what we can do together next season.”
McAdoo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2011-12, after coming to North Carolina as a Top 10 prospect from the Class of 2011.
When fellow forward John Henson was injured during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, McAdoo stepped in to average 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in three games.
The Norfolk, Va., native was projected to go in the Top 10 of the 2012 NBA draft, had he declared.
McAdoo will be joined in the frontcourt in 2012-13 by newcomers Brice Johnson, a 6-9 forward from South Carolina, and Joel James, a 6-10, 260-pound Florida native.
“Every young basketball player wants to have as much information about his future and understand what others in the game think about him. It’s been interesting to learn the information that Coach Williams has gathered, but I am ready to continue as a Tar Heel. I’m enjoying my time in Chapel Hill and am excited about the future for my team and me,” said McAdoo.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)