Apr 5, 2012, 4:14 PM EST
While Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and John Henson will be headed to the NBA draft, freshman James Michael McAdoo will stay behind and play at least one more season in Chapel Hill, the school announced Thursday afternoon.
“I’ve had several discussions about my future plans with my family and Coach Williams and have decided to return to UNC to continue playing for the Tar Heels and continue my education,” said McAdoo in a statement. “I love being at Carolina and really enjoy competing with and being around my teammates and am excited about what we can do together next season.”
McAdoo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2011-12, after coming to North Carolina as a Top 10 prospect from the Class of 2011.
When fellow forward John Henson was injured during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, McAdoo stepped in to average 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in three games.
The Norfolk, Va., native was projected to go in the Top 10 of the 2012 NBA draft, had he declared.
McAdoo will be joined in the frontcourt in 2012-13 by newcomers Brice Johnson, a 6-9 forward from South Carolina, and Joel James, a 6-10, 260-pound Florida native.
“Every young basketball player wants to have as much information about his future and understand what others in the game think about him. It’s been interesting to learn the information that Coach Williams has gathered, but I am ready to continue as a Tar Heel. I’m enjoying my time in Chapel Hill and am excited about the future for my team and me,” said McAdoo.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)