Apr 5, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
While Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and John Henson will be headed to the NBA draft, freshman James Michael McAdoo will stay behind and play at least one more season in Chapel Hill, the school announced Thursday afternoon.
“I’ve had several discussions about my future plans with my family and Coach Williams and have decided to return to UNC to continue playing for the Tar Heels and continue my education,” said McAdoo in a statement. “I love being at Carolina and really enjoy competing with and being around my teammates and am excited about what we can do together next season.”
McAdoo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2011-12, after coming to North Carolina as a Top 10 prospect from the Class of 2011.
When fellow forward John Henson was injured during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, McAdoo stepped in to average 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in three games.
The Norfolk, Va., native was projected to go in the Top 10 of the 2012 NBA draft, had he declared.
McAdoo will be joined in the frontcourt in 2012-13 by newcomers Brice Johnson, a 6-9 forward from South Carolina, and Joel James, a 6-10, 260-pound Florida native.
“Every young basketball player wants to have as much information about his future and understand what others in the game think about him. It’s been interesting to learn the information that Coach Williams has gathered, but I am ready to continue as a Tar Heel. I’m enjoying my time in Chapel Hill and am excited about the future for my team and me,” said McAdoo.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)