Apr 5, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
While Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and John Henson will be headed to the NBA draft, freshman James Michael McAdoo will stay behind and play at least one more season in Chapel Hill, the school announced Thursday afternoon.
“I’ve had several discussions about my future plans with my family and Coach Williams and have decided to return to UNC to continue playing for the Tar Heels and continue my education,” said McAdoo in a statement. “I love being at Carolina and really enjoy competing with and being around my teammates and am excited about what we can do together next season.”
McAdoo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2011-12, after coming to North Carolina as a Top 10 prospect from the Class of 2011.
When fellow forward John Henson was injured during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, McAdoo stepped in to average 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in three games.
The Norfolk, Va., native was projected to go in the Top 10 of the 2012 NBA draft, had he declared.
McAdoo will be joined in the frontcourt in 2012-13 by newcomers Brice Johnson, a 6-9 forward from South Carolina, and Joel James, a 6-10, 260-pound Florida native.
“Every young basketball player wants to have as much information about his future and understand what others in the game think about him. It’s been interesting to learn the information that Coach Williams has gathered, but I am ready to continue as a Tar Heel. I’m enjoying my time in Chapel Hill and am excited about the future for my team and me,” said McAdoo.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)