Apr 5, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
While Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and John Henson will be headed to the NBA draft, freshman James Michael McAdoo will stay behind and play at least one more season in Chapel Hill, the school announced Thursday afternoon.
“I’ve had several discussions about my future plans with my family and Coach Williams and have decided to return to UNC to continue playing for the Tar Heels and continue my education,” said McAdoo in a statement. “I love being at Carolina and really enjoy competing with and being around my teammates and am excited about what we can do together next season.”
McAdoo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2011-12, after coming to North Carolina as a Top 10 prospect from the Class of 2011.
When fellow forward John Henson was injured during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, McAdoo stepped in to average 10 points and 5.3 rebounds in three games.
The Norfolk, Va., native was projected to go in the Top 10 of the 2012 NBA draft, had he declared.
McAdoo will be joined in the frontcourt in 2012-13 by newcomers Brice Johnson, a 6-9 forward from South Carolina, and Joel James, a 6-10, 260-pound Florida native.
“Every young basketball player wants to have as much information about his future and understand what others in the game think about him. It’s been interesting to learn the information that Coach Williams has gathered, but I am ready to continue as a Tar Heel. I’m enjoying my time in Chapel Hill and am excited about the future for my team and me,” said McAdoo.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)