Apr 5, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
Former Mountain West rivals and state neighbors Utah and Wyoming each scored commitments from guards for next season. Wyoming snagged Nathan Sobey, reportedly a talented prospect from Australia that played at Cochise College (Ariz.), while Utah added to its rebuilding effort with 5-10 guard Brandon Taylor of Pacific Hills (Calif.).
Sobey, a 6-5 guard, was a stat sheet stuffer this year at Cochise College, averaging better than 16 points and 6 rebounds. He could be a nice addition to a Cowboys program that quietly overachieved during coach Larry Shyatt’s first season. With minimal expectations, Shyatt’s crew was competitive and pushed their way into the CBI quarterfinals, where they lost to Washington State. Sobey is the type of under-the-radar recruit who Shyatt could make a habit of bringing to the relatively remote campus at Wyoming.
Utah has a long road to respectability in Pac-12 basketball, and Brandon Taylor could help at point guard. Within the last week, the Utes also received a verbal commitment from Julian Jacobs, a talented Las Vegas-based lead guard from the 2013 class. As it stands now, Taylor could bridge the gap until Jacobs hits campus. He reportedly had mostly mid-major offers prior to accepting the tender from Utah, which struggled during Larry Krystkowiak’s first-year effort.
Next year’s roster at Utah will be bolstered by Glen Dean and Aaron Dotson becoming eligible off of transfer seasons from Eastern Washington and LSU, respectively, but with an exodus of outgoing transfers like freshmen guards Anthony Odunsi and Kareem Storey, as well as George Matthews, Chris Hines and Javon Dawson, Taylor may be pressed into action next season, as a reserve behind Dean.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights