Apr 5, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
The John Calipari-to-the-NBA rumor mill will keep turning, but Frank Isola of the New York Daily News pointed out a connection that could prove to be important: agents.
As Isola reports, Creative Artists Agency, which represents Calipari, also represents New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony. It is reportedly through the agency that the Knicks have pursued Calipari.
“Do I think they’ve spoken directly to Cal? No,” a source told the Daily News. “Do I think he knows they’re very interested? Definitely.”
New York head coach Mike D’Antoni resigned in mid-March and has since been replaced by interim coach Mike Woodson. The Knicks are 9-3 under Woodson and currently hold the 8th-seed in the Eastern Conference.
As one would expect, considering Calipari is hot on the recruiting trail for blue-chip prospects Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, and Anthony Bennett, the Kentucky coach wanted to close the door on any speculation, so as to dismiss any notion of coaching instability in Lexington.
“Kentucky is the best job in basketball coaching,” said Calipari. “Why would I leave? We just won the national title. We’re chasing UCLA.”
Had Calipari mentioned anything about the Knicks, how ironic a situation could that have created?
If a prospect like Muhammad saw Calipari’s future as uncertain, that would make Ben Howland look like a solid rock at UCLA, just months after his job security was called into question, following a less-than-flattering Sports Illustrated story on his program.
Trust this, though: Calipari will keep fishing for prospects in the spring signing period and, if all stays the same and he remains in Lexington, the Wildcats could have another No. 1 recruiting class on their hands in 2012.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)