Apr 6, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
Isiah Thomas’ tenure at Florida International is over.
After three seasons without a winning record that also saw the Golden Panthers finish at the bottom of the Sun Belt East standings the school announced Friday.
“We want to thank Isiah for his three years here at FIU. However, we have decided to take the program in a different direction,” athletic director Pete Garcia said in a release.
Thomas was 8-21 last season and 26-65 overall.
The school made a huge splash when it hired the NBA legend and former Indiana star three years ago. He promised he “build a basketball legacy” at FIU, but beyond signing a few solid recruits, the wins never materialized.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)