Apr 6, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
Stay or go? If you’re a college hoops prospect who’s touted as an NBA draft lottery pick, conventional wisdom says you go. One never knows what the future holds. Injuries are usually cited as the main reason for getting paid, but players can struggle or have other guys jump them on draft boards, causing them to lose millions.
But that thinking doesn’t always cause guys to stay. Just last year, lottery picks such as Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones III all chose to return to school.
This year, North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo’s among those who elected to stay. Odd decision – he’s reportedly a lottery pick – or smart move given he could thrive with a season as “the man” for the Heels?
This pro/cons posts by Jim Young of ACC Sports Journal does an excellent job breaking down the reasons why McAdoo is smart to stay and why he should head to the NBA.
There are several reasons for McAdoo to do both. My gut says that he should stay in school, but I’m also a guy who thinks you’re better off with an extra year in college rather than languish on the bench of a potentially bad NBA team. But I can’t deny the money would be tough to pass up.
The consolation for McAdoo for skipping the payday? The eternal gratitude of every UNC fan next season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?