Apr 6, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
Stay or go? If you’re a college hoops prospect who’s touted as an NBA draft lottery pick, conventional wisdom says you go. One never knows what the future holds. Injuries are usually cited as the main reason for getting paid, but players can struggle or have other guys jump them on draft boards, causing them to lose millions.
But that thinking doesn’t always cause guys to stay. Just last year, lottery picks such as Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones III all chose to return to school.
This year, North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo’s among those who elected to stay. Odd decision – he’s reportedly a lottery pick – or smart move given he could thrive with a season as “the man” for the Heels?
This pro/cons posts by Jim Young of ACC Sports Journal does an excellent job breaking down the reasons why McAdoo is smart to stay and why he should head to the NBA.
There are several reasons for McAdoo to do both. My gut says that he should stay in school, but I’m also a guy who thinks you’re better off with an extra year in college rather than languish on the bench of a potentially bad NBA team. But I can’t deny the money would be tough to pass up.
The consolation for McAdoo for skipping the payday? The eternal gratitude of every UNC fan next season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 2
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)