Apr 6, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
Stay or go? If you’re a college hoops prospect who’s touted as an NBA draft lottery pick, conventional wisdom says you go. One never knows what the future holds. Injuries are usually cited as the main reason for getting paid, but players can struggle or have other guys jump them on draft boards, causing them to lose millions.
But that thinking doesn’t always cause guys to stay. Just last year, lottery picks such as Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones III all chose to return to school.
This year, North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo’s among those who elected to stay. Odd decision – he’s reportedly a lottery pick – or smart move given he could thrive with a season as “the man” for the Heels?
This pro/cons posts by Jim Young of ACC Sports Journal does an excellent job breaking down the reasons why McAdoo is smart to stay and why he should head to the NBA.
There are several reasons for McAdoo to do both. My gut says that he should stay in school, but I’m also a guy who thinks you’re better off with an extra year in college rather than languish on the bench of a potentially bad NBA team. But I can’t deny the money would be tough to pass up.
The consolation for McAdoo for skipping the payday? The eternal gratitude of every UNC fan next season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)