Apr 6, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
Stay or go? If you’re a college hoops prospect who’s touted as an NBA draft lottery pick, conventional wisdom says you go. One never knows what the future holds. Injuries are usually cited as the main reason for getting paid, but players can struggle or have other guys jump them on draft boards, causing them to lose millions.
But that thinking doesn’t always cause guys to stay. Just last year, lottery picks such as Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones III all chose to return to school.
This year, North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo’s among those who elected to stay. Odd decision – he’s reportedly a lottery pick – or smart move given he could thrive with a season as “the man” for the Heels?
This pro/cons posts by Jim Young of ACC Sports Journal does an excellent job breaking down the reasons why McAdoo is smart to stay and why he should head to the NBA.
There are several reasons for McAdoo to do both. My gut says that he should stay in school, but I’m also a guy who thinks you’re better off with an extra year in college rather than languish on the bench of a potentially bad NBA team. But I can’t deny the money would be tough to pass up.
The consolation for McAdoo for skipping the payday? The eternal gratitude of every UNC fan next season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)