Apr 6, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
Stay or go? If you’re a college hoops prospect who’s touted as an NBA draft lottery pick, conventional wisdom says you go. One never knows what the future holds. Injuries are usually cited as the main reason for getting paid, but players can struggle or have other guys jump them on draft boards, causing them to lose millions.
But that thinking doesn’t always cause guys to stay. Just last year, lottery picks such as Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones III all chose to return to school.
This year, North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo’s among those who elected to stay. Odd decision – he’s reportedly a lottery pick – or smart move given he could thrive with a season as “the man” for the Heels?
This pro/cons posts by Jim Young of ACC Sports Journal does an excellent job breaking down the reasons why McAdoo is smart to stay and why he should head to the NBA.
There are several reasons for McAdoo to do both. My gut says that he should stay in school, but I’m also a guy who thinks you’re better off with an extra year in college rather than languish on the bench of a potentially bad NBA team. But I can’t deny the money would be tough to pass up.
The consolation for McAdoo for skipping the payday? The eternal gratitude of every UNC fan next season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)