Apr 7, 2012, 9:06 AM EDT
There is a flurry of high school all-star games this time of year, and another took place Friday night, as some of the top high-major talent in the country took part in the Kentucky Derby Festival Basketball Classic in Louisville, Ky.
Louisville signee Terry Rozier had 16 points and 12 rebounds, leading the White team to a 130-127 victory and taking home MVP honors.
NC State coach Mark Gottfried must be feeling better about his recruiting class every day, as Wolfpack signees TJ Warren and Tyler Lewis combined for 38 points, Warren with an impressive 27 and Lewis with 11 and six assists.
The Wolfpack are also in the hunt for Amile Jefferson, who has recently narrowed his list to four schools. On Friday night, he had 26 points. He is expected to make his decision shortly.
Players also took part in a dunk contest and three-point shootout.
Oklahoma State signees swept the two events, with guard Marcus Smart wowing the crowd to win the dunk contest and Phil Forte winning the three-point contest with a score of 19.
Friday night’s meeting was the 39th annual for the contest and included future Big Ten talent Sam Dekker, who had 14 points and nine rebounds and is signed to Wisconsin, along with a trio of Indiana Hoosiers, in Jeremy Hollowell, Ron Patterson, and Hanner Perea.
St. John’s commit JaKarr Sampson added 18 points. He was originally signed to St. John’s out of the Class of 2011, but was ruled ineligible by the NCAA, so he returned to Brewster Academy (NH) for a post-graduate season. He recommitted to St. John’s this spring.
For footage of the dunk contest, check out this link from Hoopmixtape.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte