Apr 7, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Since his team was ousted by underdog Ohio in the NCAA tournament, Michigan coach John Beilein has had to deal with transfers leaving his program and the possibility of star freshman Trey Burke bolting for the NBA draft.
But he received some good news to begin this Easter weekend, as post-graduate guard Spike Albrecht committed to his program at Michigan. Albrecht was on a visit to Michigan at the time of him commitment.
The original news came via a tweet from one of Albrecht’s high school coaches, Clint Swan.
“A great day for one of Crown Point’s best ever…. Spike Albrecht (Class of ’11) has committed to play basketball at the University of Michigan!” Swan wrote.
According to MaxPreps, Albrecht averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 assists for Northfield Mount Hermon School (Mass.) this year, leading his team to a 29-6 overall record.
He is a 6-1, 180-pound guard who should give the Wolverines minutes off the bench, considering that Carlton Brundidge, last year’s back-up, has transferred away from the program.
Albrecht becomes the fourth to be committed to the Wolverines from the Class of 2012, joining blue-chip prospects Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary, along with forward Nik Stauskas, who is a New England product by way of Canada.
Those three players have already signed their letters of intent and Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period, when Albrecht is reportedly set to sign his, according to Adam Finkelstein of the New England Recruiting Report.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)