Apr 7, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Since his team was ousted by underdog Ohio in the NCAA tournament, Michigan coach John Beilein has had to deal with transfers leaving his program and the possibility of star freshman Trey Burke bolting for the NBA draft.
But he received some good news to begin this Easter weekend, as post-graduate guard Spike Albrecht committed to his program at Michigan. Albrecht was on a visit to Michigan at the time of him commitment.
The original news came via a tweet from one of Albrecht’s high school coaches, Clint Swan.
“A great day for one of Crown Point’s best ever…. Spike Albrecht (Class of ’11) has committed to play basketball at the University of Michigan!” Swan wrote.
According to MaxPreps, Albrecht averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 assists for Northfield Mount Hermon School (Mass.) this year, leading his team to a 29-6 overall record.
He is a 6-1, 180-pound guard who should give the Wolverines minutes off the bench, considering that Carlton Brundidge, last year’s back-up, has transferred away from the program.
Albrecht becomes the fourth to be committed to the Wolverines from the Class of 2012, joining blue-chip prospects Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary, along with forward Nik Stauskas, who is a New England product by way of Canada.
Those three players have already signed their letters of intent and Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period, when Albrecht is reportedly set to sign his, according to Adam Finkelstein of the New England Recruiting Report.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)