Apr 7, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Since his team was ousted by underdog Ohio in the NCAA tournament, Michigan coach John Beilein has had to deal with transfers leaving his program and the possibility of star freshman Trey Burke bolting for the NBA draft.
But he received some good news to begin this Easter weekend, as post-graduate guard Spike Albrecht committed to his program at Michigan. Albrecht was on a visit to Michigan at the time of him commitment.
The original news came via a tweet from one of Albrecht’s high school coaches, Clint Swan.
“A great day for one of Crown Point’s best ever…. Spike Albrecht (Class of ’11) has committed to play basketball at the University of Michigan!” Swan wrote.
According to MaxPreps, Albrecht averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 assists for Northfield Mount Hermon School (Mass.) this year, leading his team to a 29-6 overall record.
He is a 6-1, 180-pound guard who should give the Wolverines minutes off the bench, considering that Carlton Brundidge, last year’s back-up, has transferred away from the program.
Albrecht becomes the fourth to be committed to the Wolverines from the Class of 2012, joining blue-chip prospects Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary, along with forward Nik Stauskas, who is a New England product by way of Canada.
Those three players have already signed their letters of intent and Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period, when Albrecht is reportedly set to sign his, according to Adam Finkelstein of the New England Recruiting Report.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)