Apr 7, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
Since his team was ousted by underdog Ohio in the NCAA tournament, Michigan coach John Beilein has had to deal with transfers leaving his program and the possibility of star freshman Trey Burke bolting for the NBA draft.
But he received some good news to begin this Easter weekend, as post-graduate guard Spike Albrecht committed to his program at Michigan. Albrecht was on a visit to Michigan at the time of him commitment.
The original news came via a tweet from one of Albrecht’s high school coaches, Clint Swan.
“A great day for one of Crown Point’s best ever…. Spike Albrecht (Class of ’11) has committed to play basketball at the University of Michigan!” Swan wrote.
According to MaxPreps, Albrecht averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 assists for Northfield Mount Hermon School (Mass.) this year, leading his team to a 29-6 overall record.
He is a 6-1, 180-pound guard who should give the Wolverines minutes off the bench, considering that Carlton Brundidge, last year’s back-up, has transferred away from the program.
Albrecht becomes the fourth to be committed to the Wolverines from the Class of 2012, joining blue-chip prospects Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary, along with forward Nik Stauskas, who is a New England product by way of Canada.
Those three players have already signed their letters of intent and Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period, when Albrecht is reportedly set to sign his, according to Adam Finkelstein of the New England Recruiting Report.
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)