Apr 7, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Since his team was ousted by underdog Ohio in the NCAA tournament, Michigan coach John Beilein has had to deal with transfers leaving his program and the possibility of star freshman Trey Burke bolting for the NBA draft.
But he received some good news to begin this Easter weekend, as post-graduate guard Spike Albrecht committed to his program at Michigan. Albrecht was on a visit to Michigan at the time of him commitment.
The original news came via a tweet from one of Albrecht’s high school coaches, Clint Swan.
“A great day for one of Crown Point’s best ever…. Spike Albrecht (Class of ’11) has committed to play basketball at the University of Michigan!” Swan wrote.
According to MaxPreps, Albrecht averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 assists for Northfield Mount Hermon School (Mass.) this year, leading his team to a 29-6 overall record.
He is a 6-1, 180-pound guard who should give the Wolverines minutes off the bench, considering that Carlton Brundidge, last year’s back-up, has transferred away from the program.
Albrecht becomes the fourth to be committed to the Wolverines from the Class of 2012, joining blue-chip prospects Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary, along with forward Nik Stauskas, who is a New England product by way of Canada.
Those three players have already signed their letters of intent and Wednesday is the beginning of the spring signing period, when Albrecht is reportedly set to sign his, according to Adam Finkelstein of the New England Recruiting Report.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)