Apr 7, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
After some speculation, reports are that it is a done deal: LSU coach Trent Johnson is set to become the next head coach at TCU.
Johnson, who accumulated a 67-64 overall record in four seasons with the Tigers, is set to be announced Monday as the next head man in Fort Worth, replacing outgoing coach Jim Christian, who is leaving to fill the vacancy at Ohio University.
Wrap your head around this, for a moment:
Johnson takes Christian’s spot, as he is filling the void at Ohio left by John Groce, who took over at Illinois, filling the void left by the firing of Bruce Weber, who is now at Kansas State, after Frank Martin left for South Carolina, after coach Darrin Horn was fired at USC.
That’s why they call it the coaching carousel, right? Blame it on South Carolina for starting the chain reaction.
Back to Johnson, though, who previously coached at Stanford and Nevada, before coming to LSU.
He has five career NCAA tournament appearances, including Sweet 16 runs with Nevada in 2003-04 and Stanford in 2007-08. That Stanford team finished 28-8 on the season.
TCU has had an interesting role in conference realignment lately, as the Horned Frogs were set to become members of the Big East, before staying closer to home and moving to the Big 12.
Under Christian last season, TCU finished with an 18-15 record, including 7-7 in the Mountain West, before losing to Oregon State in the Quarterfinals of the CBI tournament.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)