Apr 7, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
After some speculation, reports are that it is a done deal: LSU coach Trent Johnson is set to become the next head coach at TCU.
Johnson, who accumulated a 67-64 overall record in four seasons with the Tigers, is set to be announced Monday as the next head man in Fort Worth, replacing outgoing coach Jim Christian, who is leaving to fill the vacancy at Ohio University.
Wrap your head around this, for a moment:
Johnson takes Christian’s spot, as he is filling the void at Ohio left by John Groce, who took over at Illinois, filling the void left by the firing of Bruce Weber, who is now at Kansas State, after Frank Martin left for South Carolina, after coach Darrin Horn was fired at USC.
That’s why they call it the coaching carousel, right? Blame it on South Carolina for starting the chain reaction.
Back to Johnson, though, who previously coached at Stanford and Nevada, before coming to LSU.
He has five career NCAA tournament appearances, including Sweet 16 runs with Nevada in 2003-04 and Stanford in 2007-08. That Stanford team finished 28-8 on the season.
TCU has had an interesting role in conference realignment lately, as the Horned Frogs were set to become members of the Big East, before staying closer to home and moving to the Big 12.
Under Christian last season, TCU finished with an 18-15 record, including 7-7 in the Mountain West, before losing to Oregon State in the Quarterfinals of the CBI tournament.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)