Apr 7, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
Not to intentionally revive a dreaded buzzword, but the “eye test” doesn’t look good right now, if Connecticut is hoping to keep Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb around for another year in Storrs.
This week, the NCAA struck down UConn’s appeal of their ruling to ban the Huskies from the 2012-13 postseason, including the NCAA tournament, because of a low Academic Progress Rate. Junior Alex Oriakhi has chosen to transfer and, because of that low APR score, can play right away at virtually any destination he chooses.
So what incentive remains for Drummond and Lamb to stay put?
Both are projected to be NBA lottery picks, with Drummond going somewhere in the Top 5 and Lamb toward the late lottery.
Drummond has popped up on lists as a possible bust at the NBA level, but there is little room for his stock to improve and could face criticism on the same level as Baylor’s Perry Jones III if he returns to school.
Lamb returned to school after last season, following a tidal wave of buzz about his draft stock that came with Connecticut’s NCAA title. His impressive length, at 6-5, and the NBA drafts primarily on potential, which he certainly has.
Questions have been raised about Jim Calhoun’s health once again and Oriakhi, on his way out the door at Connecticut, told SNY.tv’s Adam Zagoria, “In my opinion, I think they’ll go.”
They have until April 10 to declare for or withdraw from the NBA draft, as told by the NCAA, or must enter by April 29, according to NBA early-entry rules.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)