Apr 8, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
Kansas may have come up short in the real national title game against Kentucky, but if we were measuring in social media, the Jayhawks would have brought home the crown.
According to research group Schwartz MSL, Kansas’ fanbase, in proportion, was the most tuned-in of any school in the country.
The formula goes like this: Take the total number of Facebook “likes” and Twitter followers, then divide it by the number of students that attend the school.
Schwarts MSL even set up a bracket, which you can see here, that plays out the entire Field of 68, as if it were based on social media.
Some surprises? West Virginia is an Elite Eight team, as is Memphis and Connecticut. Among the disappointments would be Florida State, who would lost in the Round of 32.
The 2010-11 champion of this social media bracket, Ohio State, is eliminated this year by No. 15 Loyola (Md.).
The Final Four would be Duke, Kansas, Memphis, and West Virginia, with Kansas over Duke in the title game.
Imagine that had played out: Kevin Jones carrying the otherwise-young Mountaineers into the Final Four, fighting with passionate Kansas.
On the other side, Duke would have avoided that Round of 64 upset loss to Lehigh and come to meet Josh Pastner and the Memphis Tigers.
We social media guys get called nerds sometimes, and maybe simulations like this don’t help our cause, but it’s pretty fun to take a look at.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)