Apr 8, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
The 6’4″ guard put his home state – and his parents – through the proverbial wringer as he tested the recruiting waters, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.
After each official visit — first to Purdue, then Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan State — he was ready to commit. Mom and Dad’s advice was always the same: Take all four visits, then process all of the available information.
So he waited. Then, a week before the end of the early signing period, Harris chose Michigan State. Cue the message-board meltdowns from Indiana and Purdue fans. Some took their outrage to Harris’ Twitter page.
“I was really shocked by the way some people reacted to all of it,” Joy Harris said. “I guess that’s basketball in Indiana, though. People are passionate about their teams.”
“You find out who your friends are.”
Harris will have a tough road, as he travels through the Big Ten in the near future. Second-place Mr. Basketball finisher Yogi Ferrell will be waiting for him at Indiana, and fourth-place finisher Glenn Robinson III will be a Michigan man. Kellen Dunham, who came in third in the voting, has given his verbal to Butler, according to Scout.com.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte