Apr 9, 2012, 6:16 PM EST
John Jenkins will be foregoing his final year of eligibility as he will enter his name into consideration for the NBA Draft, per a release from the school.
“This was a very difficult decision for my family and I to make, but I am ready to dedicate myself fully to achieving my dream of playing in the NBA,” said Jenkins. “The last three years have been the time of my life, and I will always cherish my time at Vanderbilt and the relationships I have made along the way.”
This decision doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Jenkins, along with seniors Jeff Taylor and Festus Ezeli, shocked the nation when they jointly decided to return to school for another chance at postseason glory.
And depending on how you look at it, the season was a success. While it is difficult to be satisfied with a 25-11 season and a 10-6 finish in a down year in the SEC, Vanderbilt not only shook off their NCAA tournament demons by advancing to the round of 32, they won the SEC tournament with a come-from-behind victory against national champion Kentucky.
On a personal level, Jenkins had plenty of success the last two years. He’s led the SEC in scoring the last two seasons and tied former-Commodore Shan Foster’s record for 134 3-pointers in a single season.
Draft Express currently projects Jenkins as the second pick of the second round.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)