Apr 9, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
- An interesting-read on why the one-and-done rule is making a mess of basketball in general. Speaking of which, Bobby Knight took the time to blast John Calipari’s method. Typical
– Eric Crawford has some great suggestions on how the NCAA tournament experience can improve (The last one is crucial)
– remember when Buzz Williams benched a bunch of players during the late regular season for disciplinary reasons. We found out during the NCAA tournament that it had to do with trying to enter a bar underage. Well it turns out that six players were involved in a bar fight in which 11 squad cars were called to the scene. That’s a lot of squad cars
– Anthony Davis will only spend one season at Kentucky, but does he deserve to have his jersey retired at Rupp Arena?
– Speaking of Davis, he was on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Thursday, and he absolutely killed it. We saw very little character or personality from him during the season, but well he was focused on winning a title. But man, he was hysterical on Kimmel. (Make sure you get a chance to watch the whole segment)
– We indicated last week that Georgia State is looking to leave the CAA and join the Sun Belt, and it looks like the move will happen this week
– When a 50/50 NBA recruit decides to stay in school for an extra year, they are often rewarded with greatness, so says Gary Parrish
– The rosters and schedules for the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament has been announced
– Former-Illinois head coach Bruce Weber took out a full-page ad thanking fans for supporting him when he was head coach in Champaign
– New Mexico State head coach Marvin Menzies is being recruited by Colorado State to be the rams next head coach. But NMSU is looking to sweeten the pot in order to get their head coach to stay
– LSU head coach Trent Johnson is leaving in order to take over the head coaching position at TCU. LSU has now lost two key players from this past seasons team. Where will the tigers go from here?
– Do coaching contracts mean anything to coaches? It seems like coaches are more than willing to opt out of lucrative deals if they see a new situation become available
– A solid Q&A with new Illinois head coach John Groce. Make sure you read the part where he talks about trying to recruit in the Chicago-area
– In case you missed it, Florida International fired Isaiah Thomas after three sub-par seasons as the Panthers head coach. Thomas called it “The most surprised he’s ever been in his life regarding a basketball decision”. Dominique Ferguson, the Panther’s star sophomore took to twitter to defend his recently dismissed head coach. A solid-read on why “Zeke” was a failure at FIU
– Kansas’ forward Thomas Robinson will make his NBA decision later today, but it’s being reported that T-Rob will make the leap to the NBA
– Two Houston players, Alandise Harris and Kirk Van Slyke have decided to transfer out of school
– Loyola (MD) sophomore guard Justin Drummond announced that he is transferring. The Greyhounds won the MAAC Tournament and made their first NCAA tournament appearance in over a decade.
– Alabama forward Tony Mitchell, the best dunker in the SEC, is leaving school He was suspended for the two months of the season for disciplinary reasons. But where will T-Mitch land?
– Texas A&M forward Kris Middleton will enter the NBA draft, despite a sub-par season in which he was sidelined with a knee injury. Did the wing forward make the right decision?
– Ohio State got some great news this weekend. Even though Jared Sullinger will leave for the NBA draft, DeShaun Thomas will return for his junior season. The forward played exceptionally well during the tournament and will be the focal point of the Buckeye’s offense next season
– Rodney Hood has decided to transfer out of Mississippi State. This means that new head coach Rick Ray will have to start from scratch, as five of the Bulldog’s top seven scorers are either leaving for the NBA, transferring or graduating
– South Carolina forward Anthony Gill is debating the thought of transferring. Playing for Frank Martin is no easy task, but playing for a hard-nosed coach like Martin is usually good for building mental toughness, discipline and character
– Alex Oriakhi is still trying to decide which school he wants to transfer to. The list is rather long, and if he choses to major in a field of study not offered at UConn, he can enroll at an SEC school. KSR’s Drew Franklin details which majors Oriakhi could get his degree in if he went to Kentucky (This should end up being the funniest thing you read all day). But as the UConn Blog suggests, Oriakhi probably shouldn’t transfer to the same school Nerlens Noel goes to
– Speaking of UConn, we still haven’t heard anything from Jeremy Lamb or Andre Drummond about their NBA early entry statuses
– Connecticut politicians plan on magnifying the” unfair” postseason suspension of UConn’s basketball team next season
– Central Michigan star Trey Zeigler has decided to attend Pittsburgh. The sophomore guard asked for his release after the school fire his father Ernie, the head basketball coach
– it was a bizarre week for the athletic department at Howard, but it seems as though all student-athletes have been reinstated
– The not-top-10 plays from the 2011-2012 college basketball season (How the “Crosstown Brawl” didn’t get a mention is absolutely ridiculous)
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)