Apr 10, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
Several names emerged in Colorado State’s coaching search to replace Tim Miles. Among them: Southern Miss’ Larry Eustachy, New Mexico State’s Marvin Menzies and Weber State’s Randy Rahe. (Not to mention New Mexico assistant Craig Neal reportedly getting the job.)
That’s why this report that the Rams have reached a deal with former Oregon coach Ernie Kent is a little surprising. Couldn’t see it coming.
According to CBSSports.com, Kent will be formally introduced on Wednesday or Thursday.
Kent, 57, coached the Ducks from 1997 until his firing in 2010. The Oregon alum was 235-174 in 13 seasons and is the school’s all-time wins leader. He took the Ducks to two Elite Eight s(’03 and ’07), but only won one Pac-10 regular-season title and finished 4th or lower in 10 of those seasons.
He also coached Saint Mary’s for six seasons, going 90-80 with one NCAA tournament berth.
Still, in terms of surprising moves, it’s similar to N.C. State’s hiring of Mark Gottfried last season. Few saw that move coming considering Gottfried had been out of coaching for two seasons. His tenure at Alabama featured more consistency than Kent’s at Oregon, but not by much.
Considering the roster Miles left behind at Colorado State, expect Kent to do well right away. But after that, it’ll be anyone’s guess.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- P.J. Hairston’s UNC career comes to an end as the school will not apply for his reinstatement 3
- Weekend Preview: Saturday’s slate is thrilling from noon until midnight 2
- UCLA has a lot to learn if they are going to be a contender in the Pac-12 0
- Rasheed Sulaimon climbs out of the doghouse in No. 8 Duke’s 80-63 win 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 2
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (9)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (7)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Late Night Snacks: UK loses, Arizona survives, and Naadir Tharpe awakens (4)