Apr 10, 2012, 12:25 AM EDT
Isiah Thomas’ top recruit wasn’t happy about Florida International firing the coach. Neither are Thomas’ former players.
Team members who attended an FIU athletic banquet walked out of the event as a protest. They waited just before the season’s award winners were to be announced, too.
The event didn’t stop, though you can hear at least one person in the video ask “What’s going on?”
Leading scorer DeJuan Wright says the team wasn’t simply protesting Thomas’ firing, but the dismissal of the entire coaching staff. Wright called them “mentors,” according to the AP.
That was echoed by freshman guard Tanner Woziak.
“We didn’t want to disrespect the program at all or anything,” Wozniak told The Dagger. “We just wanted to show our support for Isiah Thomas. He was a great coach, a mentor and a father figure to us. He didn’t have a winning record, but you can’t build a program in three years.”
Thomas was 26-65 in three seasons and 8-21 last year. The odds of Thomas turning FIU into a hoops power were always remote, but it was slightly surprising to see the school fire him after just three seasons given the attention he’d brought to the program.
Could he coach? No. But it’ll be interesting to see if it can replace him with anyone who can OR match Thomas’ recruiting efforts.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)