Apr 10, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
If Alex Oriakhi is No. 1 on everyone’s list of most wanted transfer, Rodney Hood might be a close second.
The Mississippi State freshman was granted his release from the school Sunday night and quickly became the object of affection for several schools, Duke and Ohio State among them. Both would make sense as landing spots for Hood. Well, anyplace would.
The 6-8 wing can score, averaging 10.3 points per game last season with an impressive 113.1 ORtg. He doesn’t turn the ball over, has a solid outside shot (36 percent from 3) and has the size to get his own shot against pretty much any defender.
He’d have to sit out the 2012-13 season, but would vie for a starting spot when eligible no matter where he lands.
Sounds as if Hood wants a stable program, too.
“It wasn’t necessarily the basketball part of it,” Ricky Hood, Rodney’s father, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. “Everybody knows Rodney played quite a bit and the fan base was tremendously supportive for him but it was a tough, tough situation for him to be in.
“After some long, long conversations and consideration he went back to what coach Ray said when he got hired: people need both feet in for Mississippi State basketball and he personally didn’t feel like he was all the way in, right now, 100 percent in that direction.”
So, no ridiculous fights among players, no constant turmoil because of under-performing would-be stars and no missing the NCAA tournament. Sounds easy, right?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)