Apr 10, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
If Alex Oriakhi is No. 1 on everyone’s list of most wanted transfer, Rodney Hood might be a close second.
The Mississippi State freshman was granted his release from the school Sunday night and quickly became the object of affection for several schools, Duke and Ohio State among them. Both would make sense as landing spots for Hood. Well, anyplace would.
The 6-8 wing can score, averaging 10.3 points per game last season with an impressive 113.1 ORtg. He doesn’t turn the ball over, has a solid outside shot (36 percent from 3) and has the size to get his own shot against pretty much any defender.
He’d have to sit out the 2012-13 season, but would vie for a starting spot when eligible no matter where he lands.
Sounds as if Hood wants a stable program, too.
“It wasn’t necessarily the basketball part of it,” Ricky Hood, Rodney’s father, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. “Everybody knows Rodney played quite a bit and the fan base was tremendously supportive for him but it was a tough, tough situation for him to be in.
“After some long, long conversations and consideration he went back to what coach Ray said when he got hired: people need both feet in for Mississippi State basketball and he personally didn’t feel like he was all the way in, right now, 100 percent in that direction.”
So, no ridiculous fights among players, no constant turmoil because of under-performing would-be stars and no missing the NCAA tournament. Sounds easy, right?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games