Apr 10, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
If Alex Oriakhi is No. 1 on everyone’s list of most wanted transfer, Rodney Hood might be a close second.
The Mississippi State freshman was granted his release from the school Sunday night and quickly became the object of affection for several schools, Duke and Ohio State among them. Both would make sense as landing spots for Hood. Well, anyplace would.
The 6-8 wing can score, averaging 10.3 points per game last season with an impressive 113.1 ORtg. He doesn’t turn the ball over, has a solid outside shot (36 percent from 3) and has the size to get his own shot against pretty much any defender.
He’d have to sit out the 2012-13 season, but would vie for a starting spot when eligible no matter where he lands.
Sounds as if Hood wants a stable program, too.
“It wasn’t necessarily the basketball part of it,” Ricky Hood, Rodney’s father, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. “Everybody knows Rodney played quite a bit and the fan base was tremendously supportive for him but it was a tough, tough situation for him to be in.
“After some long, long conversations and consideration he went back to what coach Ray said when he got hired: people need both feet in for Mississippi State basketball and he personally didn’t feel like he was all the way in, right now, 100 percent in that direction.”
So, no ridiculous fights among players, no constant turmoil because of under-performing would-be stars and no missing the NCAA tournament. Sounds easy, right?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)