Apr 11, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
The NCAA won’t hammer Baylor with additional penalties for 1,200 impermissible phone calls and texts involving the men’s and women’s college basketball teams. The self-imposed penalties by the school – three years probation for both programs, recruiting restrictions, a two-game suspension for men’s coach Scott Drew to start the Big 12 season, among others – were enough for the NCAA.
The 3-year investigation probed roughly 900,000 calls and text messages made during a 29-month period.
“We are grateful that this matter has been resolved, and that the NCAA Committee on Infractions has agreed to the facts of this case as reported in the joint summary disposition,” Baylor President Ken Starr in a statement. “While mistakes sometimes happen, it is important that we acknowledge our errors and respond to them in a manner that is open and honest, and that we strictly adhere to NCAA rules.”
The complete release by the NCAA can be found here. The penalties related to the texts, calls and impermissibly using talent scouts at basketball clinics are as follows:
- The head men’s basketball coach must be suspended from all coaching duties during the first two conference games of the 2012-13 season.
- One-year show-cause order for former assistant men’s basketball coach, which prohibits any recruiting activity.
- Reduction of one scholarship (from 13 to 12) for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 academic years.
- Reduction of five official visits (from 12 to 7) for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Reduction of 15 recruiting evaluation days (from 130 to 115) for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Reduction of two scholarships (from 15 to 13) for the 2011-12 academic year.
- The head women’s basketball coach will not participate in off-campus recruiting for the full summer recruiting period (July 1 – 31, 2012).
- An assistant women’s basketball coach will not place any recruiting calls during a four-month period from January through April, 2012.
Baylor won’t appeal the decision, closing the case.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional