Apr 11, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
Did we really expect this to play out any other way?
Nerlens Noel, the nation’s No. 1 recruit, has officially committed to Kentucky, showing off a UK shaved into the back of his trademark flat-top haircut. Noel’s commitment will keep the peace in Lexington after the Wildcats missed out on Shabazz Muhammad. He picked Kentucky over Georgetown and Syracuse.
“I just thought it was the best fit for me personally,” Noel said. “My mom liked all three of the schools, but when it came down to it, she liked Kentucky. She met Coach Orlando and Coach Calipari, and they just had a great idea, just watching them play on TV and what they did with Anthony Davis. She thought it was the best fit for me, and I did too.”
With the only thing keeping Anthony Davis from the NBA Draft being the official announcement, the 6-foot-11 Noel should slide in perfectly where Davis left off. Noel is a natural shot-blocker and a force to be reckoned with around the basket.
With Noel joining Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress and Willie Cauley — and, in all likelihood, at least one more highly-regarded recruit or transfer — Kentucky shouldn’t fall too far off of last year’s national championship pace.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3