Apr 11, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Today is the biggest college hoops day of the non-college hoops season.
Why you ask?
Because Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad, the two best undecided recruits in this year’s class, will announce their college decisions. Within the next 24 hours, severs will shut down, message boards will explode, “fighting words” will be exchanged and thousands of grown men and women will weep uncontrollable because a high school kid decided not to attend their Alma mater.
- Eric Bossi breaks down the top ten commitments to watch for during the spring signing period
- The new NBA draft deadline, as useful as the verbal commitment or preseason poll
- Greg Shaheen is out as the NCAA’s Executive Vice President of Championships and Alliances. If you know anybody in the media or coaching world, ask them what they think about this move. They aren’t happy. Shaheen was as well-respected as they come. More great stuff on Shaheen
- Jeff Goodman’s extensive transfer list for 2012-2013 continues to grow. This is the only transfer list you need to use
- Kellon Hassentab details which schools are vying for the top spot on the recruiting scoreboard
- UConn’s Jeremy Lamb has decided to leave school and enter the NBA draft. I guess he doesn’t mind that his final college field goal attempt was a missed windmill dunk at the buzzer of a blowout loss to Iowa State. His teammate Andre Drummond still has not decided and will not make a decision until the last possible day
- Baylor freshman Quincy Miller has decided to return to Waco for his sophomore season
- Duke forward Mason Plumlee has decided against entering the draft and will return to school for his senior year. He showed much improvement in his offensive game this season, and will look to be one of the Blue Devil’s key low-post threats next season
- Texas’ back-up guard Sterling Gibbs (brother of Pittsburgh’s Ashton) has decided to transfer after one season in Austin
- Reserve forward Karam Mashour is leaving the UNLV program in search of more playing time
- Arizona bolstered their backcourt with the addition of Duquesne-transfer T.J. McConnell, one of the most underrated guards in the country
- SMU has seemingly gone after any and every head coach they can get in contact with. Next on their list is Saint Louis head coach Rick majerus, according to Jeff Goodman
- New Mexico State head coach Marvin Menzies won’t be the next head coach at Colorado State. For now he will remain at NMSU, but there are still a handful of openings that might become available to him. Gary Parrish is reporting the former-Oregon head coach Ernie Kent is close to getting the head coaching job at Colorado State. But Rich Kurtzman also reported that New Mexico assistant coach Craig Neal would be named the new head coach
- Duquesne has finally found their new head basketball in LIU-Brooklyn’s Jim Ferry. He led the Blackbirds to back-to-back NEC titles, and employs one of the most high-octane styles of play in the country. The school has promoted assistant coach Jack Perri to replace Ferry has head coach
- Ever since Kentucky cut down the nets in New Orleans, posts and articles have poured in proclaiming that it was a terrible thing for college hoops, and that the one-and-done is ruining the sport. Glen Logan provides a fantastic-read on why that’s just not true
- NBA Draft Blog fills us in on what players to watch for at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament
- There is a reason why John Calipari didn’t recruit any four or five-star point guards for next year’s class. That reason? North Carolina State-transfer Ryan Harrow. He will be eligible to play next season and will be an instant impact
- The discussion continues to pick up on whether not Central Michigan-transfer Trey Zeigler will be able to play immediately next season at Pittsburgh
- Another interesting discussion: Is the Indiana-Kentucky series in jeopardy? It can’t be, right? Not after what went down this season
- According to Hustle Belt, Keno Davis is the most-followed person in the MAC. Gotta love off-season statistics
- Life-long Michigan fans are being priced out of their seats at the new Chrysler Center
- A great-read on what Boston U. has to do to become “The Gonzaga of the East”
- MSU big-man Derrick Nix was busted for marijuana possession a couple of weeks ago. Turns out he was busted while driving a brand new 2011 Dodge Charger. Where does a college kid, albeit one on scholarship, get a brand new Dodge Charger?
- Not exactly sure what “The Gator Grind” is, but they put together an awesome music video/promo video about Florida student athletes, and it features Patric Young
- From here on out, all logo changes need to be accompanied by awesome promo videos like the one the Houston Cougars put together
- If Syracuse was 100% organic New Zealand cheddar cheese, and Nerlens Noel was a black lab named Billy, they would spend the next year together, or well, the next 5-8 hours of digestion together. Something like that. Just watch the video.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Jones’ dunk on five-star forward Cody Riley is one of the best you’ll see this year.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When you talk Duke basketball in 2014-15, you start with Player of the Year candidate Jahlil Okafor, but there are plenty of other keys to Duke’s success as we get closer to the new year.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Patrick Cole has been suspended indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Oklahoma-Washington, Ohio State-North Carolina and UCLA-Kentucky are just three of the marquee matchups.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
Even with the win there are things Duke needs to improve upon, most notably the fact that they’ve committed 36 turnovers over the last two games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Also of note was Ole Miss avoiding what would have been their fourth home loss of the season.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Jabari McGhee suffered the injury in Tennessee’s loss to NC State on Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Branden Dawson is the team’s leading rebounder, as he’s grabbing 8.7 boards per contest.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Gaston Diedhiou was denied admission to Minnesota during the summer, and he is now eligible immediately after passing an English proficiency exam.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
While the focus has been on the Aztecs’ shooting percentages, their ability to find quality looks has been a big reason why they’ve struggled.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
When do we start counting Duke-UConn as a rivalry?
Dec 18, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
Agau was buried on the Louisville bench with a number of young guys in front of him.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:34 PM EST
A deep look into the early-season struggles of Marcus Paige and whether or not they are fixable.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
The last two times these teams have squared off in big games, the outcome has been memorable.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Three-point shooting might be the key to the Virginia season.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
She may not be playing anymore, but Lauren’s time with the basketball program has not yet come to an end.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)