Apr 11, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Today is the biggest college hoops day of the non-college hoops season.
Why you ask?
Because Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad, the two best undecided recruits in this year’s class, will announce their college decisions. Within the next 24 hours, severs will shut down, message boards will explode, “fighting words” will be exchanged and thousands of grown men and women will weep uncontrollable because a high school kid decided not to attend their Alma mater.
- Eric Bossi breaks down the top ten commitments to watch for during the spring signing period
- The new NBA draft deadline, as useful as the verbal commitment or preseason poll
- Greg Shaheen is out as the NCAA’s Executive Vice President of Championships and Alliances. If you know anybody in the media or coaching world, ask them what they think about this move. They aren’t happy. Shaheen was as well-respected as they come. More great stuff on Shaheen
- Jeff Goodman’s extensive transfer list for 2012-2013 continues to grow. This is the only transfer list you need to use
- Kellon Hassentab details which schools are vying for the top spot on the recruiting scoreboard
- UConn’s Jeremy Lamb has decided to leave school and enter the NBA draft. I guess he doesn’t mind that his final college field goal attempt was a missed windmill dunk at the buzzer of a blowout loss to Iowa State. His teammate Andre Drummond still has not decided and will not make a decision until the last possible day
- Baylor freshman Quincy Miller has decided to return to Waco for his sophomore season
- Duke forward Mason Plumlee has decided against entering the draft and will return to school for his senior year. He showed much improvement in his offensive game this season, and will look to be one of the Blue Devil’s key low-post threats next season
- Texas’ back-up guard Sterling Gibbs (brother of Pittsburgh’s Ashton) has decided to transfer after one season in Austin
- Reserve forward Karam Mashour is leaving the UNLV program in search of more playing time
- Arizona bolstered their backcourt with the addition of Duquesne-transfer T.J. McConnell, one of the most underrated guards in the country
- SMU has seemingly gone after any and every head coach they can get in contact with. Next on their list is Saint Louis head coach Rick majerus, according to Jeff Goodman
- New Mexico State head coach Marvin Menzies won’t be the next head coach at Colorado State. For now he will remain at NMSU, but there are still a handful of openings that might become available to him. Gary Parrish is reporting the former-Oregon head coach Ernie Kent is close to getting the head coaching job at Colorado State. But Rich Kurtzman also reported that New Mexico assistant coach Craig Neal would be named the new head coach
- Duquesne has finally found their new head basketball in LIU-Brooklyn’s Jim Ferry. He led the Blackbirds to back-to-back NEC titles, and employs one of the most high-octane styles of play in the country. The school has promoted assistant coach Jack Perri to replace Ferry has head coach
- Ever since Kentucky cut down the nets in New Orleans, posts and articles have poured in proclaiming that it was a terrible thing for college hoops, and that the one-and-done is ruining the sport. Glen Logan provides a fantastic-read on why that’s just not true
- NBA Draft Blog fills us in on what players to watch for at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament
- There is a reason why John Calipari didn’t recruit any four or five-star point guards for next year’s class. That reason? North Carolina State-transfer Ryan Harrow. He will be eligible to play next season and will be an instant impact
- The discussion continues to pick up on whether not Central Michigan-transfer Trey Zeigler will be able to play immediately next season at Pittsburgh
- Another interesting discussion: Is the Indiana-Kentucky series in jeopardy? It can’t be, right? Not after what went down this season
- According to Hustle Belt, Keno Davis is the most-followed person in the MAC. Gotta love off-season statistics
- Life-long Michigan fans are being priced out of their seats at the new Chrysler Center
- A great-read on what Boston U. has to do to become “The Gonzaga of the East”
- MSU big-man Derrick Nix was busted for marijuana possession a couple of weeks ago. Turns out he was busted while driving a brand new 2011 Dodge Charger. Where does a college kid, albeit one on scholarship, get a brand new Dodge Charger?
- Not exactly sure what “The Gator Grind” is, but they put together an awesome music video/promo video about Florida student athletes, and it features Patric Young
- From here on out, all logo changes need to be accompanied by awesome promo videos like the one the Houston Cougars put together
- If Syracuse was 100% organic New Zealand cheddar cheese, and Nerlens Noel was a black lab named Billy, they would spend the next year together, or well, the next 5-8 hours of digestion together. Something like that. Just watch the video.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The OVC looks like a three-team race this season.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Nice work editing in the music.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Who are the top 20 perimeters in the country this season?
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)