Apr 12, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Florida made another move on the recruiting market on Thursday, as they received a commitment from 6-6 guard DeVon Walker according to Solange Reyner of the Lakeland Ledger.
The Winter Haven, Florida product helped lead his high school to the Class 6A semifinals, and he has experience at both the point and shooting guard slots.
But the commitment of Walker, who is expected to sign his Letter of Intent on Friday, means that Florida is back to 13 scholarships used for the 2012-13 season.
That’s the full allotment, and a big deal given the fact that forward Anthony Bennett is still on the board. In addition to the Gators the Brampton, Ontario product is considering Kentucky, Oregon, UNLV and Washington.
Bennett, who played his high school basketball at Findlay Prep, isn’t expected to decided until he completes his five official visits so that does give Billy Donovan and his staff some time to figure things out.
From a position standpoint obviously Walker’s commitment won’t have much to do with Bennett, but the scholarship count likely means that if Florida lands Bennett there’s more juggling to be done.
Walter Pitchford’s already decided to move on but that was before Walker made his decision. Does another player make way to free up a scholarship for Bennett?
Or will one of the remaining players become a glorified walk-on as Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith did at Louisville this past season?
Clearly you make room for a talent like Bennett should he decide to commit to your school.
The only question for Florida at this point is how they go about doing so should he want to become a Gator.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)