Apr 12, 2012, 8:59 PM EST
Florida made another move on the recruiting market on Thursday, as they received a commitment from 6-6 guard DeVon Walker according to Solange Reyner of the Lakeland Ledger.
The Winter Haven, Florida product helped lead his high school to the Class 6A semifinals, and he has experience at both the point and shooting guard slots.
But the commitment of Walker, who is expected to sign his Letter of Intent on Friday, means that Florida is back to 13 scholarships used for the 2012-13 season.
That’s the full allotment, and a big deal given the fact that forward Anthony Bennett is still on the board. In addition to the Gators the Brampton, Ontario product is considering Kentucky, Oregon, UNLV and Washington.
Bennett, who played his high school basketball at Findlay Prep, isn’t expected to decided until he completes his five official visits so that does give Billy Donovan and his staff some time to figure things out.
From a position standpoint obviously Walker’s commitment won’t have much to do with Bennett, but the scholarship count likely means that if Florida lands Bennett there’s more juggling to be done.
Walter Pitchford’s already decided to move on but that was before Walker made his decision. Does another player make way to free up a scholarship for Bennett?
Or will one of the remaining players become a glorified walk-on as Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith did at Louisville this past season?
Clearly you make room for a talent like Bennett should he decide to commit to your school.
The only question for Florida at this point is how they go about doing so should he want to become a Gator.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)