Apr 12, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
He was an impactful late addition to Connecticut’s 2011-12 team, but after one season, Andre Drummond is leaving Storrs and heading to the NBA draft, reports Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post.
Drummond averaged 10.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game at Connecticut this past season for a team that lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Iowa State.
He was a Top 3 prospect coming out of high school in the Class of 2011 and was named to the Big East All-Rookie team in 2012.
Connecticut is banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament because of a low Academic Progress Rate, which could have been a motivating force behind his decision.
Unlike senior teammate Alex Oriakhi, who can transfer to another program without sitting out for a season, the same rule would not apply to Drummond or other underclassmen, as the NCAA rule was designed to give leeway to only seniors.
Drummond is projected to be a Top 5 pick in the June draft. The draft historically weighs potential heavily, which bodes well for Drummond, within whom scouts see a great deal of potential for growth. He becomes the first one-and-done player in the school’s history.
According to Duffy’s report, a release from the school could come as early as Thursday afternoon.
Because the NCAA’s early-entry deadline has passed, Drummond is locked in to the draft.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)