Apr 12, 2012, 11:34 AM EST
He was an impactful late addition to Connecticut’s 2011-12 team, but after one season, Andre Drummond is leaving Storrs and heading to the NBA draft, reports Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post.
Drummond averaged 10.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game at Connecticut this past season for a team that lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Iowa State.
He was a Top 3 prospect coming out of high school in the Class of 2011 and was named to the Big East All-Rookie team in 2012.
Connecticut is banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament because of a low Academic Progress Rate, which could have been a motivating force behind his decision.
Unlike senior teammate Alex Oriakhi, who can transfer to another program without sitting out for a season, the same rule would not apply to Drummond or other underclassmen, as the NCAA rule was designed to give leeway to only seniors.
Drummond is projected to be a Top 5 pick in the June draft. The draft historically weighs potential heavily, which bodes well for Drummond, within whom scouts see a great deal of potential for growth. He becomes the first one-and-done player in the school’s history.
According to Duffy’s report, a release from the school could come as early as Thursday afternoon.
Because the NCAA’s early-entry deadline has passed, Drummond is locked in to the draft.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)