Apr 12, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
He was an impactful late addition to Connecticut’s 2011-12 team, but after one season, Andre Drummond is leaving Storrs and heading to the NBA draft, reports Kevin Duffy of the Connecticut Post.
Drummond averaged 10.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game at Connecticut this past season for a team that lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Iowa State.
He was a Top 3 prospect coming out of high school in the Class of 2011 and was named to the Big East All-Rookie team in 2012.
Connecticut is banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament because of a low Academic Progress Rate, which could have been a motivating force behind his decision.
Unlike senior teammate Alex Oriakhi, who can transfer to another program without sitting out for a season, the same rule would not apply to Drummond or other underclassmen, as the NCAA rule was designed to give leeway to only seniors.
Drummond is projected to be a Top 5 pick in the June draft. The draft historically weighs potential heavily, which bodes well for Drummond, within whom scouts see a great deal of potential for growth. He becomes the first one-and-done player in the school’s history.
According to Duffy’s report, a release from the school could come as early as Thursday afternoon.
Because the NCAA’s early-entry deadline has passed, Drummond is locked in to the draft.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)