Apr 12, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Quietly, under the cover of National Signing Day in college basketball, another prospect with star potential accepted one of the highest honors in high school basketball.
Jabari Parker, a 6-8, 220-pound forward from Simeon Career Academy (Il.) and the Class of 2013, has won the Gatorade National Player of the Year as the best player in the country.
Parker averaged 20.1 points, 5.1 assists, and 3.4 blocks per game this past season, leading Simeon to a 32-1 record in the 2011-12 season. They finished as the No. 4 team in the country, according to MaxPreps.com.
He is the top-ranked player in the Class of 2013 and could have his choice of nearly any program in the country, but focus has been on schools that include Kentucky, Michigan State, Louisville, North Carolina, Ohio State, Duke, Kansas, and hometown teams Illinois, Northwestern, and DePaul.
Parker is hailed as a well-rounded player with good size and ballhandling skills, with still another year to polish his skills before heading to college.
Florida’s Bradley Beal won the award last season and past winners include LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Alonzo Mourning, and Kevin Love. Mourning was in attendance as Parker accepted his award.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)