Apr 12, 2012, 6:37 PM EST
Winning a championship usually means receiving honors outside of the actual trophy for many in the world of sports, and that was no different for Kentucky head coach John Calipari as he embarked on his tour of the Commonwealth with the national title.
One of his first stops was the city of Pikeville, located just over 140 miles away from Lexington in the southeast corner of the state.
And to mark Calipari’s arrival the city decided to give him a key to the city. No problem with that at all.
But there were two glaring spelling errors on the plaque, with “the” missing the “e” and the confusion of “its” with “it’s”.
Not sure how often the head coach visits Pikeville, but in their one shining moment (sorry) someone didn’t get the job done. And that’s a shame.
Whether this falls on the person who came up with the words for the plaque or the engraver is up for discussion but either way someone had to catch this, right?
It’s likely a safe assumption that Calipari will receive a key with the corrected paragraph in the very near future.
h/t to Deadspin
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)