Apr 13, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
Even with the departure of Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith the Louisville Cardinals have enough talent returning to be considered a contender for a national championship next season.
Wayne Blackshear, Peyton Siva and Russ Smith lead the way in the backcourt while Chane Behanan and Gorgui Dieng both return inside.
But if Terry Rozier isn’t able to finish his senior year of high school strong academically, Rick Pitino could be forced to figure out another solution to the “backup point guard” question.
In a conversation with C.L. Brown of the Louisville Courier-Journal Rozier said that he still needs to improve both his grades and ACT score, and he will take the latter again next month.
But as Brown points out, Louisville is better equipped to address the backup point guard role in 2012-13 than they were this past season.
Russ Smith made significant strides as the season wore on and he would likely take over at the point when Siva wasn’t on the floor.
Should Rozier not meet the requirements that would be a negative for Louisville but by no means would it be a crippling blow.
Photo credit: Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)