Apr 13, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
According to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Florida freshman wing Bradley Beal will announce his intention to enter the 2012 NBA Draft on Friday.
Beal averaged 14.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game for the Gators, earning SEC All-Freshman and First Team All-SEC honors as a result.
According to DraftExpress.com the St. Louis native ranks fifth among NBA Draft prospects, projecting Beal to be a lottery selection in this year’s draft.
In terms of the Gators’ roster makeup for next season, Beal’s departure puts them back at 12 scholarships with 2012 forward Anthony Bennett still on the board.
Florida received a commitment from DeVon Walker on Thursday, which put them at their full allotment of 13 scholarships at the time.
One has to wonder if Billy Donovan and his staff had an idea of what Beal was going to do when making that offer, and by the look of things they did.
According to Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com, Beal informed Donovan of his decision while holding back tears on Monday afternoon in the head coach’s office.
“I got very emotional when I was telling him. I love this place. I love this program. I really bought into the whole experience,” said Beal.
“I may not have had the best [season] I could have had, but in terms of just fun and enjoying the game it could not have been any better.”
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)