Apr 13, 2012, 12:36 AM EST
According to a report by Sharief Ishaq of WAFB TV in New Orleans, Murray State head coach Steve Prohm spoke with LSU in regards to their head coaching vacancy.
LSU is looking to replace Trent Johnson, who left the school at the beginning of the week to take over at TCU.
Prohm posted one of the best first-year records for a head coach in the history of college basketball in 2011-12, leading the Racers to a 31-2 record and the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament.
Just days after the Racers’ season ended with a loss to Marquette Prohm received both a raise and a contract extension, with his deal now lasting until 2016.
With a base salary of $270,000, Prohm is expected to earn $300,000 per year after fulfilling radio and TV obligations (usually meaning coaches’ shows).
Johnson made $1.2 million in his final season in Baton Rouge, leaving for a job that will pay him in upwards of $2 million per year.
Whether or not discussions have taken place remains to be seen, but there’s quite a difference between what Prohm’s due to make at Murray State and what he could make at LSU.
But as we’ve seen with the likes of Mark Few (Gonzaga), Shaka Smart (VCU) and Brad Stevens (Butler) a coach doesn’t have to “take the money and run” in order to remain successful.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)