Apr 13, 2012, 12:36 AM EDT
According to a report by Sharief Ishaq of WAFB TV in New Orleans, Murray State head coach Steve Prohm spoke with LSU in regards to their head coaching vacancy.
LSU is looking to replace Trent Johnson, who left the school at the beginning of the week to take over at TCU.
Prohm posted one of the best first-year records for a head coach in the history of college basketball in 2011-12, leading the Racers to a 31-2 record and the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament.
Just days after the Racers’ season ended with a loss to Marquette Prohm received both a raise and a contract extension, with his deal now lasting until 2016.
With a base salary of $270,000, Prohm is expected to earn $300,000 per year after fulfilling radio and TV obligations (usually meaning coaches’ shows).
Johnson made $1.2 million in his final season in Baton Rouge, leaving for a job that will pay him in upwards of $2 million per year.
Whether or not discussions have taken place remains to be seen, but there’s quite a difference between what Prohm’s due to make at Murray State and what he could make at LSU.
But as we’ve seen with the likes of Mark Few (Gonzaga), Shaka Smart (VCU) and Brad Stevens (Butler) a coach doesn’t have to “take the money and run” in order to remain successful.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)