Apr 13, 2012, 12:36 AM EST
According to a report by Sharief Ishaq of WAFB TV in New Orleans, Murray State head coach Steve Prohm spoke with LSU in regards to their head coaching vacancy.
LSU is looking to replace Trent Johnson, who left the school at the beginning of the week to take over at TCU.
Prohm posted one of the best first-year records for a head coach in the history of college basketball in 2011-12, leading the Racers to a 31-2 record and the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament.
Just days after the Racers’ season ended with a loss to Marquette Prohm received both a raise and a contract extension, with his deal now lasting until 2016.
With a base salary of $270,000, Prohm is expected to earn $300,000 per year after fulfilling radio and TV obligations (usually meaning coaches’ shows).
Johnson made $1.2 million in his final season in Baton Rouge, leaving for a job that will pay him in upwards of $2 million per year.
Whether or not discussions have taken place remains to be seen, but there’s quite a difference between what Prohm’s due to make at Murray State and what he could make at LSU.
But as we’ve seen with the likes of Mark Few (Gonzaga), Shaka Smart (VCU) and Brad Stevens (Butler) a coach doesn’t have to “take the money and run” in order to remain successful.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)