Apr 14, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
It hasn’t been the most pleasant of months for SMU athletic director Steve Orsini.
After head coach Matt Doherty was fired in mid-March after six seasons, Orsini and the Mustangs are still looking for a head coach and reports are that they have turned to a candidate that has some scratching their heads: Larry Brown.
Over the past four weeks, the Mustangs’ coaching search has seen St. Louis’ Rick Majerus, Marquette’s Buzz Williams, and Long Beach State’s Dan Monson all turn down the job.
A report from SNY.tv’s Adam Zagoria says Williams’ assistant at Marquette, Tony Benford, is on the SMU campus today.
The 71-year-old Brown is the only coach in history to have won both an NBA title (Detroit, 2004) and an NCAA title (Kansas, 1988), having last coached the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11.
He has been quoted as saying that he would like to return to coaching, but has not been at a college program since that championship season at Kansas in 1988.
SMU is trying to work its way to national prominence and went 13-19 last season, including 4-12 in Conference USA. They will be moving to the Big East in all sports in an attempt to grow their national brand.
The better question, in regards to Brown, is how a man in his 70s, having not coached at the college level in over 20 years, would be able to make an impact on the recruiting trail, which is increasingly dominated by younger coaches (in comparison to Brown) like John Calipari, Scott Drew, Tom Crean, Sean Miller, etc.
“I’m not going to be politicking for a job right now,” Brown told ESPN’s Dana O’Neill. “I’d like to get back involved in the game in some capacity. Whether that’s as a coach, assistant, running a team or just as a resource, I don’t care.”
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)