Apr 15, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
This late in the recruiting process, he still had a list comprised of seven schools. He wants to have a traditional announcement of his decision at his school, complete with laying out a hat for each team still in the running, then choosing one and ceremoniously putting it on his head.
The problem with that is, seven schools, multiplied by close to $30 per hat, and it turns out to be an expensive ceremony. Time to cut his list.
The Sporting News is reporting that Parker has trimmed his list to five, UCLA, Kansas, Duke, Georgia, and Ohio State, and will announce his choice on Friday during a news conference at his school.
Shabazz Muhammad, who won co-MVP honors at the Jordan Brand Classic and is signed to UCLA, and Rasheed Sulaimon, a 6-3 guard signed to play at Duke in the fall, both told The Sporting News that they hope Parker chooses their program.
“I can’t wait until he decides to come to UCLA hopefully. He’s such a good player, and if we get him, that’s the icing on the cake,” said Muhammad. “It’s a big time program and needs big time players.”
Parker averaged 16.8 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks per game this past season for Miller Grove (Ga.) and led the Wolverines to a 24-9 overall record.
If Parker chooses UCLA, he would join Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony (N.J.), Jordan Adams of Oak Hill (Va.), and Muhammad of Bishop Gorman (Nev.), to perhaps have the best recruiting class in the country.
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)