Apr 15, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
This late in the recruiting process, he still had a list comprised of seven schools. He wants to have a traditional announcement of his decision at his school, complete with laying out a hat for each team still in the running, then choosing one and ceremoniously putting it on his head.
The problem with that is, seven schools, multiplied by close to $30 per hat, and it turns out to be an expensive ceremony. Time to cut his list.
The Sporting News is reporting that Parker has trimmed his list to five, UCLA, Kansas, Duke, Georgia, and Ohio State, and will announce his choice on Friday during a news conference at his school.
Shabazz Muhammad, who won co-MVP honors at the Jordan Brand Classic and is signed to UCLA, and Rasheed Sulaimon, a 6-3 guard signed to play at Duke in the fall, both told The Sporting News that they hope Parker chooses their program.
“I can’t wait until he decides to come to UCLA hopefully. He’s such a good player, and if we get him, that’s the icing on the cake,” said Muhammad. “It’s a big time program and needs big time players.”
Parker averaged 16.8 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks per game this past season for Miller Grove (Ga.) and led the Wolverines to a 24-9 overall record.
If Parker chooses UCLA, he would join Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony (N.J.), Jordan Adams of Oak Hill (Va.), and Muhammad of Bishop Gorman (Nev.), to perhaps have the best recruiting class in the country.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)