Apr 15, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
This late in the recruiting process, he still had a list comprised of seven schools. He wants to have a traditional announcement of his decision at his school, complete with laying out a hat for each team still in the running, then choosing one and ceremoniously putting it on his head.
The problem with that is, seven schools, multiplied by close to $30 per hat, and it turns out to be an expensive ceremony. Time to cut his list.
The Sporting News is reporting that Parker has trimmed his list to five, UCLA, Kansas, Duke, Georgia, and Ohio State, and will announce his choice on Friday during a news conference at his school.
Shabazz Muhammad, who won co-MVP honors at the Jordan Brand Classic and is signed to UCLA, and Rasheed Sulaimon, a 6-3 guard signed to play at Duke in the fall, both told The Sporting News that they hope Parker chooses their program.
“I can’t wait until he decides to come to UCLA hopefully. He’s such a good player, and if we get him, that’s the icing on the cake,” said Muhammad. “It’s a big time program and needs big time players.”
Parker averaged 16.8 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks per game this past season for Miller Grove (Ga.) and led the Wolverines to a 24-9 overall record.
If Parker chooses UCLA, he would join Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony (N.J.), Jordan Adams of Oak Hill (Va.), and Muhammad of Bishop Gorman (Nev.), to perhaps have the best recruiting class in the country.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona