Apr 15, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
This late in the recruiting process, he still had a list comprised of seven schools. He wants to have a traditional announcement of his decision at his school, complete with laying out a hat for each team still in the running, then choosing one and ceremoniously putting it on his head.
The problem with that is, seven schools, multiplied by close to $30 per hat, and it turns out to be an expensive ceremony. Time to cut his list.
The Sporting News is reporting that Parker has trimmed his list to five, UCLA, Kansas, Duke, Georgia, and Ohio State, and will announce his choice on Friday during a news conference at his school.
Shabazz Muhammad, who won co-MVP honors at the Jordan Brand Classic and is signed to UCLA, and Rasheed Sulaimon, a 6-3 guard signed to play at Duke in the fall, both told The Sporting News that they hope Parker chooses their program.
“I can’t wait until he decides to come to UCLA hopefully. He’s such a good player, and if we get him, that’s the icing on the cake,” said Muhammad. “It’s a big time program and needs big time players.”
Parker averaged 16.8 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks per game this past season for Miller Grove (Ga.) and led the Wolverines to a 24-9 overall record.
If Parker chooses UCLA, he would join Kyle Anderson of St. Anthony (N.J.), Jordan Adams of Oak Hill (Va.), and Muhammad of Bishop Gorman (Nev.), to perhaps have the best recruiting class in the country.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)