Apr 15, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT
Larry Brown wants to get back into coaching so badly, he’s willing to coach at SMU. For a limited time, even.
A report from Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News indicates the school’s coaching search could turn to hiring Brown and bringing in UNC Wilmington coach Buzz Peterson as a coach in waiting.
It doesn’t sound as if Brown, 71, will be hired without any catches. His age and reputation for job jumping has made SMU officials uneasy about hiring him. Peterson would provide a safety net of sorts. But not much of one.
Peterson’s coached six different schools since 1999-2000, including one-year stints at Tulsa (2000-01) and Appalachian State (2009-10), which makes him more nomadic than Brown. He doesn’t have Brown’s success record, either. Peterson’s just 248-184 in his career, including a 23-37 mark the last two seasons at Wilmington.
Brown, on the other hand, has won an NCAA and NBA title and was 177-61 in two college coaching stints at UCLA and Kansas.
SMU’s headed to the Big East after next season. Perhaps it’d be better served hiring a coach who isn’t a short-term solution.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1