Apr 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
The five Kentucky Wildcat underclassmen that saw major minutes this past season — Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague — will hold a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce their intentions for the NBA Draft.
The general consensus: all five are going pro.
Anthony Davis will likely be the first pick in this year’s draft. Kidd-Gilchrist is expected to go in the top five. Jones is also considered a lottery pick. Teague, Lamb and Miller are all potential first round picks as well, meaning that there is a chance that John Calipari can one-up his 2010 draft class, when five players were selected in the first round.
If all five leave, it should come as no surprise to anyone. This is the way that Calipari’s program operates. He brings in talent, he gets them ready for the NBA and then he shoves them out the door if he believes it is in their best interest to leave.
In fact, the only thing surprising about this decision is that the Wildcats are holding their press conference with almost two weeks until the NBA’s deadline to declare. With the NCAA’s deadline for players to announce their intentions to return a week in the past, one would think that Coach Cal would use this as an opportunity to thumb his nose at the NCAA.
Frankly, I’m a little disappointed he didn’t. I’d applaud anything that shows how inane the NCAA’s early-entry deadline is.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)