Apr 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
The five Kentucky Wildcat underclassmen that saw major minutes this past season — Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague — will hold a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce their intentions for the NBA Draft.
The general consensus: all five are going pro.
Anthony Davis will likely be the first pick in this year’s draft. Kidd-Gilchrist is expected to go in the top five. Jones is also considered a lottery pick. Teague, Lamb and Miller are all potential first round picks as well, meaning that there is a chance that John Calipari can one-up his 2010 draft class, when five players were selected in the first round.
If all five leave, it should come as no surprise to anyone. This is the way that Calipari’s program operates. He brings in talent, he gets them ready for the NBA and then he shoves them out the door if he believes it is in their best interest to leave.
In fact, the only thing surprising about this decision is that the Wildcats are holding their press conference with almost two weeks until the NBA’s deadline to declare. With the NCAA’s deadline for players to announce their intentions to return a week in the past, one would think that Coach Cal would use this as an opportunity to thumb his nose at the NCAA.
Frankly, I’m a little disappointed he didn’t. I’d applaud anything that shows how inane the NCAA’s early-entry deadline is.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)