Apr 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
The five Kentucky Wildcat underclassmen that saw major minutes this past season — Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague — will hold a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce their intentions for the NBA Draft.
The general consensus: all five are going pro.
Anthony Davis will likely be the first pick in this year’s draft. Kidd-Gilchrist is expected to go in the top five. Jones is also considered a lottery pick. Teague, Lamb and Miller are all potential first round picks as well, meaning that there is a chance that John Calipari can one-up his 2010 draft class, when five players were selected in the first round.
If all five leave, it should come as no surprise to anyone. This is the way that Calipari’s program operates. He brings in talent, he gets them ready for the NBA and then he shoves them out the door if he believes it is in their best interest to leave.
In fact, the only thing surprising about this decision is that the Wildcats are holding their press conference with almost two weeks until the NBA’s deadline to declare. With the NCAA’s deadline for players to announce their intentions to return a week in the past, one would think that Coach Cal would use this as an opportunity to thumb his nose at the NCAA.
Frankly, I’m a little disappointed he didn’t. I’d applaud anything that shows how inane the NCAA’s early-entry deadline is.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)