Apr 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
The five Kentucky Wildcat underclassmen that saw major minutes this past season — Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague — will hold a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce their intentions for the NBA Draft.
The general consensus: all five are going pro.
Anthony Davis will likely be the first pick in this year’s draft. Kidd-Gilchrist is expected to go in the top five. Jones is also considered a lottery pick. Teague, Lamb and Miller are all potential first round picks as well, meaning that there is a chance that John Calipari can one-up his 2010 draft class, when five players were selected in the first round.
If all five leave, it should come as no surprise to anyone. This is the way that Calipari’s program operates. He brings in talent, he gets them ready for the NBA and then he shoves them out the door if he believes it is in their best interest to leave.
In fact, the only thing surprising about this decision is that the Wildcats are holding their press conference with almost two weeks until the NBA’s deadline to declare. With the NCAA’s deadline for players to announce their intentions to return a week in the past, one would think that Coach Cal would use this as an opportunity to thumb his nose at the NCAA.
Frankly, I’m a little disappointed he didn’t. I’d applaud anything that shows how inane the NCAA’s early-entry deadline is.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)