Apr 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
The five Kentucky Wildcat underclassmen that saw major minutes this past season — Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague — will hold a press conference on Tuesday afternoon to announce their intentions for the NBA Draft.
The general consensus: all five are going pro.
Anthony Davis will likely be the first pick in this year’s draft. Kidd-Gilchrist is expected to go in the top five. Jones is also considered a lottery pick. Teague, Lamb and Miller are all potential first round picks as well, meaning that there is a chance that John Calipari can one-up his 2010 draft class, when five players were selected in the first round.
If all five leave, it should come as no surprise to anyone. This is the way that Calipari’s program operates. He brings in talent, he gets them ready for the NBA and then he shoves them out the door if he believes it is in their best interest to leave.
In fact, the only thing surprising about this decision is that the Wildcats are holding their press conference with almost two weeks until the NBA’s deadline to declare. With the NCAA’s deadline for players to announce their intentions to return a week in the past, one would think that Coach Cal would use this as an opportunity to thumb his nose at the NCAA.
Frankly, I’m a little disappointed he didn’t. I’d applaud anything that shows how inane the NCAA’s early-entry deadline is.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)